Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

eDirectory in load balancer

Jump to solution

I have a customer with 12K active users in eDirectory 9.2.2 (8 server replication ring in SLES 15 SP1).
A load balancer (F5) will be enabled for eDirectory for LDAP authentication.
Approximately 40 web applications will switch user authentication to eDirectory through the load balancer.

How many servers in the eDirectory replication ring is recommended to be included in the load balancer?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I could think of the following criteria for not including a server in the LB pool:

• not having replicas of partitions being accessed via the LB
  • hosting an IDM engine
  • geographic distribution / network topology

Have you done a load test to see how many servers you need to deliver to service level agreements?

--
Norbert

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I could think of the following criteria for not including a server in the LB pool:

• not having replicas of partitions being accessed via the LB
  • hosting an IDM engine
  • geographic distribution / network topology

Have you done a load test to see how many servers you need to deliver to service level agreements?

--
Norbert

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.
I have a client that has 250K active users with an F5 load balancer. They havdle about 1.5 billion operations a day. They use 8 replicas. If you're not doing dynamic groups, IDM engine on a server servicing the F5. You should be fine with the number you have.

But honestly depends on how optimised your queries are. (IBM apps are aweful with dynamic groups.) They had 1 application that would do a huge query with a server side sort that would trash performance on other clients on that same node.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.