Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

question mark in object

Having some issues with Groupwise Restore area membership for GW 2012 on Linux with eDir 8.8.5

I did post in the GW area and we have not found a solution, but suspect an eDirectory issue.  

When checking for Trustee rights, looking at the Root of the Tree found this: (not allowed to upload images)

-------------------

Tree icon [Public]

-? icon {This}

user icon admin.ou

-------------------

Seems wrong.  Dsrepair, via dsrmenu.sh runs without error.

Wisdom?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Re: question mark in object

Turns out there area quite a few object icons in ConsoleOne views that have a question mark in them.

Seem to recall this means something ungood.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

ConSlowOne, now there's a blast from the past...

? object = unknown object (normally because objectClass has become corrupt or doesn't exist on the object)

This can normally be from bad sync's in the past, or time issues, or....list goes on.

An image would be helpful, kinda hard to tell where the object actually exists in the hierarchy via text. It would also allow us to 100% understand where the problem lies.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Yes, well . . . 

Time is in sync and had not been a problem for some time, though when first virtualized it was a constant problem.

There are no errors evident running dsrepair (via dsrmenu,sh) and no replica sync problems.

While I was poking about, hoping to find the gem, I found that Public had Assigned Supervisor rights to Root.  All others were checked as well.  

After pondering, deeply, for a bit, my committee of one decreed this to be "not right" and reduced revoked those rights to allow browsing only.  One presumes.

So, attached are few screen shots. 

Of particular interest is the screen shot c1-3-etc which shows the GW objects with question marks,  as what began this saga was my desire to create a GW restore area and being unable to add members, the domain objects being grayed out and thus being unable to select and "drill down".

Thanks for any assistance in clearing this up.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

These question marks do NOT indicate any sort of problem. They just show that ConsoleOne has no idea how to handle the object type. [this] for example is a special one to be handled via iManager or ldif files. Same applies to SNMP or DHCP objects and many, many other ones.

If you see an object which gets presented with a YELLOW CIRCLE and a question mark then there's likely a problem with it as this indicates the "unknown" object class. Basically most of the time one or more mandatory attributes are missing (e.g. by corruption or sometimes intentionally due to removal of schema stuff).

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

OK.   

I see now you are also covering the GW issue I am chasing.

So,  last I recall, iManager was unable to deal with GroupWise management (at least to 2012).    Is that still the case?

Perhaps we should shutdown this thread and just work the other one about not being able to add members to the restore area.    I really am not troubled by the question marks as long as they do not relate to the GW restore area issue.

Any oddities with regard to my user or screen ID are only partly of my own making. . . .

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

GW up to and including 2012 has to be managed via ConsoleOne (or even nwadmin derivates for really old stuff). Starting with 2014 it has a different and streamlines management architecture with its own webfrontend. There is a lightweight "integration" for iManager which allow for nothing more than adding a user to a PO. A thighter integration wouldn't make too mauch sense as GW >= 2014 is directory agnostic.

As for your issue: make sure that the admin object you're working with has unfiltered full rights everywhere starting with inheritable "S" rights (you might want to tick all other, too) to the root of the tree. Other than that try what i've suggested in the GW thread (and make sure you're connected to the correct domain).

0 Likes
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

This is why images help 😀, I thought you were talking about these question mark objects (taken from Visio as too hard to manually replicate in eDir):

Unknown_Object.png

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.