Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

After updates, iPrint stops due to apache error

I applied SLES/OES updates on June 1 to my SLES 11 SP4 / OES 2015 SP1 server. Since that time I have had problems with iPrint failing. After some troubleshooting, the problem appears to be that Apache dies. Looking at the apache error_log file I see:

[Fri Jun 02 16:15:01 2017] [notice] Graceful restart requested, doing restart
[Fri Jun 02 16:15:02 2017] [notice] seg fault or similar nasty error detected in the parent process ALL Simias Threads are stopped, Exiting from Simias process

After that, nothing happens until I restart apache. When I do, I get the message on the console:

Warning: found stale pidfile (unclean shutdown?)
Starting httpd2 (prefork) [Tue Jun 06 07:39:33 2017] [warn] module rewrite_module is already loaded, skipping
[Tue Jun 06 07:39:33 2017] [warn] module rewrite_module is already loaded, skipping

Then apache seems to run for a while and then die again. What is causing this? How do I troubleshoot it?

Thanks,
Dan
0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: After updates, iPrint stops due to apache error

On 06/06/2017 02:14 PM, dchunt wrote:
>

> [Fri Jun 02 16:15:01 2017] [notice] Graceful restart requested, doing
> restart
> [Fri Jun 02 16:15:02 2017] [notice] seg fault or similar nasty error
> detected in the parent process ALL Simias Threads are stopped, Exiting
> from Simias process
>

it looks like an issue with iFolder
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I believe that we installed the iFolder software on that machine as a backup. We no longer use iFolder. Can we simply uninstall the iFolder software in Yast without affecting iPrint which is what we use that server for.

Thanks,

Dan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am still having problems with Apache shutting down for no reason. I have just uninstalled iFolder and rebooted and will see if that has any effect. This started happening after the last set of updates I applied on June 1st. Looking at the Apache error_log I see some strange things.

1. First of all, over and over, multiple times a day, I see the two warnings:

[warn] IPP Operation error=CLNT_ERR_NOT_FOUND, operation=Cancel Job
[warn] IPP Operation error=CLNT_ERR_NOT_FOUND, operation=Get Job Attributes

the 'Cancel Job' warning is repeated a lot more. The error log was started on April 24th and it is already 678K in size, mostly with these warnings. What is causing these warnings?

2. It looks like something is trying to do a 'Graceful restart' of apache at 16:15 on various days. There is no cron job set up to do this. Many times it is on Friday at 16:15 but not always. What is causing this?

3. I see this from time to time:
[Tue Jun 13 07:22:53 2017] [error] (9)Bad file descriptor: apr_pollset_poll: (listen)
*** glibc detected *** /usr/sbin/httpd2-prefork: free(): invalid pointer: 0x00007f98ac373ed0 ***
[Tue Jun 13 07:22:53 2017] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down

What causes this?

4. And a new thing. After uninstalling iFolder and rebooting, apparently the Yast uninstaller doesn't clean up Apache because I just saw the following:

[Tue Jun 13 07:28:11 2017] [error] Failed running '/opt/novell/ifolder3/bin/ifolder-mod-mono-server2 --filename /tmp/mod_mono_server_admin -
-applications /admin:/opt/novell/ifolder3/lib64/simias/admin --nonstop (null) (null) (null) (null) (null) (null) (null)'. Reason: No such fi
le or directory
[Tue Jun 13 07:28:11 2017] [error] Failed running '/opt/novell/ifolder3/bin/ifolder-mod-mono-server2 --filename /tmp/mod_mono_server_ifolder
--applications /ifolder:/opt/novell/ifolder3/lib64/simias/webaccess --nonstop (null) (null) (null) (null) (null) (null) (null)'. Reason: No
such file or directory
[Tue Jun 13 07:28:11 2017] [error] Failed running '/opt/novell/ifolder3/bin/ifolder-mod-mono-server2 --filename /tmp/mod_mono_server_simias1
0 --applications /simias10:/opt/novell/ifolder3/lib64/simias/web --nonstop (null) (null) (null) (null) (null) (null) (null)'. Reason: No suc
h file or directory
[Tue Jun 13 07:28:11 2017] [notice] Apache/2.2.12 (Linux/SUSE) mod_ssl/2.2.12 OpenSSL/0.9.8j-fips PHP/5.3.17 mod_mono/2.6.3 ipp_module/$Revi
sion $ configured -- resuming normal operations

What process is trying to load the ifodler-mod-mone-server2 and how do I prevent it from doing so???

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is our iPrint server and having it go down is a big deal.

Thanks,

Dan
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

just wanted to quickly inform you that we have the exact same issues. We currently hve a SR open with Novell about this,

BC
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On 07/17/2017 04:04 PM, bcnx wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> just wanted to quickly inform you that we have the exact same issues. We
> currently hve a SR open with Novell about this,
>
> BC
>
>

maybe tid7021043 helps
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Novell got back to us on this and it seems related to an old iFolder folder. These are their instructions:

# mkdir -p /root/backup/mono/apache2/conf.d

# mv /etc/apache2/conf.d/ifolder_admin.conf /root/backup/mono/apache2/conf.d

# mv /etc/apache2/conf.d/ifolder_web.conf /root/backup/mono/apache2/conf.d

# mv /etc/apache2/conf.d/mod_mono.conf /root/backup/mono/apache2/conf.d

# mv /etc/apache2/conf.d/simias.conf /root/backup/mono/apache2/conf.d

# service apache2 restart

We are still monitoring for Apache outages, but Novell seemed quite sure as they already closed the Service Request,

BC
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.