Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
IanB65 Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Airprint "not applicable for this printer"

Iprint 4 appliance with Updates 1 and 2

We install the *same* copier twice with same gateway settings because for Desktops we use different printer driver profiles (Black and White / Colour).

We have mobile license and want to enable Airprint via the iPrint appliance. Airprint is enabled on the copier.

Since the mobile devices won't have printer driver profiles to limit colour printing, we just Airprint enable the colour instance of the printer.

In the Printer Configuration screen - one printer shows are airprint capable, but the one we want to enable has the grey bar showing "Airprint is not applicable for this printer"

*These are both the exact same physical device on the same ip address* so how can one show differently ?

We never experienced this issue on iPrint 3.x.

Restarting copier and iPrint appliance makes no difference. IPP Authentication (KB7024064) is disabled - not that is should be selective !

Anyone have an idea what is happening ?

Cheers

Ian

0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Re: Airprint "not applicable for this printer"

Without seen how the printers are configured and without seen the iprint_mobile0.log file and a lan trace while enabling this printer, it is difficult to say. I've got the same configuration here and it works fine, both printers could be set as airprint printers.

0 Likes
Regular Contributor.

I could not see anything intelligible in that log file regarding this issue.

I created a new test printer against the same physical printer and it creates fine with Airprint available.

As the printers are in production (installed on desktops) I prefer to not delete them.

Is there a way to rerun the discovery process to have the appliance query the printers to see if they are Airprint enabled ?

Cheers

Ian

0 Likes

Restarting mobile services will force a new query to the printers.

If you have created a new one and this one worked, it may be a problem with the current printer object or the information in the orientdb database is not accurate and it was not updated with the airprint capabilities.

Again, with no log files to check or lan trace, difficult to say why is happening.

0 Likes
Regular Contributor.

Hi,

I tried restarting the service, but that did not help (I considered that was likely since an appliance restart did not either !).

I bit the bullet and deleted and recreated the printers and they recreated fine - I was able to Airprint enable them then.

I have another dozen appliances to go so I hope this issue does not appear on them. I assume it was caused because the Airprint advertising was not enabled on the printer itself when it was created on the appliance.

Thanks for the assistance.

Cheers

Ian

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.