Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Best method to deploy nipp.exe

I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations on how to deploy nipp.exe in an environment with 32 bit versions of windows xp and windows 7 and 64 bit versions of windows 7. I'm in the process of migrating fron ZDM 7 to ZCM 11 and in working on the printer policies I'm wondering if I should use the printer policies or create bundles. The problem is that it would be really nice if I didn't have to create three policies for one printer to handle different flavors of nipp.exe.

Anyone have any ideas on handling this?

Thanks.

Dan
0 Likes
5 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

i've had the same dilemma, in one case it was 64 bit win7 only so I used the iprint policies

otherwise i'd be creating a bundle using the nipp-s.exe (remember that nipp-s is the silent installing one)

if you're using zcm 11 sp1 you could get away with 1 bundle as each install action in the bundle can have it's own requirements filter, but I can't remember if zcm11 pre sp1 had this option or not

either way in your case i'd be using a bundle to deploy the nipp-s rather than a policy, or you could always create the policy for 1 architecture, copy it and then modify the nipp-s to be the correct one for the other OS

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the reply. I am using ZCM 11.1 so the bundle philosophy sounds good. I'm wondering do you copy the nipp executables to an accessible volume or set up an NCP share for the default location of the files. I've always liked being able to apply a patch and not worry about moving files around to make sure new updates are where they need to be - seems like an extra step...

Thanks.

Dan
0 Likes
Admiral
Admiral

I'd create a bundle that only installs nipp-s.exe if iprint doesn't already exist. Then after that, just use iprints auto-updating feature.. works really well (via iprint.ini, etc)

#novell on efnet
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

When i'm installing a bundle which isn't an MSI, I normally just copy it to the %ZENWORKS_HOME% folder using the install files / isntall folder action

That way all the non MSI installers are cached locally and there's no need to rely on network shares, as well as being able to use dynamic admin with no issues as well

Just in case you don't realise I love zenworks for the ease of doing things (when it behaves itself at least :D)

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Is there a way to copy files to %ZENWORKS_HOME% if the C: drive is being hidden by group policy? I've tried running the bundle as a dynamic admin and as a secure system user, neither worked. Currently I have it set up so that in the "install" section it copies the correct version of nipp.exe to ZENWORKS_HOME testing for architecture, version of windows, and on whether the file already exists. I have tried 'dynamic administrator' and 'run as secure system user'. The app is associated to workstation, not user.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Dan
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.