Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
943 views

Bug regarding Driver changes/updates not taking effect - any status?

Any status regarding the long-standing bug documented in TID 3101313? This
is becoming a rather big problem around here, with life-cycles of many
printers coming to an end, and some apps like Citrix mandating certain
printer driver levels.

-Eric


0 Likes
4 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Bug regarding Driver changes/updates not taking effect - any status?


Eric Young;2662084 Wrote:
> Any status regarding the long-standing bug documented in TID 3101313?
> This
> is becoming a rather big problem around here, with life-cycles of many
> printers coming to an end, and some apps like Citrix mandating certain
> printer driver levels.
>
> -Eric


The TID has not been updated, but the bug has been closed as not a
bug.
In other words, a ZENworks policy was never supposed to reinstall a
printer if the printer was already installed. The ZENworks policy is
only meant to install pritners, not to update them.
What you should actually look into is using iPrint features to update
the drivers. For instance, if you rename a pritner, it will be
reinstalled with the new driver.


--
cimetmc

Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Bug regarding Driver changes/updates not taking effect - any status?

Ah, well, that's good to know. So, ZEN works as it should. How about
iPrint? Is there any hope that iCM will be enhanced to match NDPS's
capabilities? NDPS offered an option to "Update driver" thru it's Remote
Printer Management (RPM) features. iPrint does not seem to have this.

-Eric

"cimetmc" <cimetmc.2nrpf1@no-mx.nds_engineer.com> wrote in message
news:cimetmc.2nrpf1@no-mx.nds_engineer.com...
>
> Eric Young;2662084 Wrote:
>> Any status regarding the long-standing bug documented in TID 3101313?
>> This
>> is becoming a rather big problem around here, with life-cycles of many
>> printers coming to an end, and some apps like Citrix mandating certain
>> printer driver levels.
>>
>> -Eric

>
> The TID has not been updated, but the bug has been closed as not a
> bug.
> In other words, a ZENworks policy was never supposed to reinstall a
> printer if the printer was already installed. The ZENworks policy is
> only meant to install pritners, not to update them.
> What you should actually look into is using iPrint features to update
> the drivers. For instance, if you rename a pritner, it will be
> reinstalled with the new driver.
>
>
> --
> cimetmc
>
> Marcel Cox
> http://support.novell.com/forums



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Bug regarding Driver changes/updates not taking effect - anystatus?

Eric Young wrote:
> Ah, well, that's good to know. So, ZEN works as it should. How about
> iPrint? Is there any hope that iCM will be enhanced to match NDPS's
> capabilities? NDPS offered an option to "Update driver" thru it's Remote
> Printer Management (RPM) features. iPrint does not seem to have this.


This is a feature that is oft-requested and we would certainly like to
add it as resources allow. Right now Vista client support, 64-bit
support for the backend (on Open Enterprise Server 2 for Linux) and
migration are higher priority.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Bug regarding Driver changes/updates not taking effect - any status?

I guess we view this as a migration issue, although that's at the end of
your list anyway. I think by migration, you mean, Netware to Linux (?).
For us, it's migration from NDPS to iPrint, as well as from Windows XP to
Vista.

Thanks for the response.

"iPrint Linux" <linux@iprint.novell.com> wrote in message
news:GnAMh.1316$lj2.695@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> Eric Young wrote:
>> Ah, well, that's good to know. So, ZEN works as it should. How about
>> iPrint? Is there any hope that iCM will be enhanced to match NDPS's
>> capabilities? NDPS offered an option to "Update driver" thru it's Remote
>> Printer Management (RPM) features. iPrint does not seem to have this.

>
> This is a feature that is oft-requested and we would certainly like to
> add it as resources allow. Right now Vista client support, 64-bit
> support for the backend (on Open Enterprise Server 2 for Linux) and
> migration are higher priority.



0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.