UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Cannot Upload Windows 7 IPP Print Drivers from Windows XP

We are in the process of migrating from Windows XP to Windows 7. In preparation we are attempting to upload all of the correct Windows 7 print drivers into IPP. The problem we are having is that within the IPP Manage Driver Store task, under the Drivers Tab we can add print drivers for Windows XP from “Add From File” or “Add From System” just fine – but when I select Windows 7 from the Driver’s Platform drop down and then click “Add From File” or “Add From System” I get the following error:

“A driver can only be added to the same operating system that is currently running on the workstation.”

Now, this is fully expected on the Add From System, but in accordance with both the pop up help and the Novell Documentation I should be able to upload drivers from a file.

I have attempted this from IE 7 and from IE 8 (both with compatibility mode turned on and off). I have installed the iprntman-setup.exe utility. Windows XP is fully patched. I set IE security to low in case it was a problem with running the plugin. I set the server (both iManager and the IPP print server) to trusted. The server is a brand new SLES 10.3 / OES 2 SP 3 fully patched server. The IPP print environment works perfectly other than this issue.

Any ideas?
0 Likes
8 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I should also note that iManger is: Version 2.7.4 (20100928_164510) with all of the newest plugins installed, iManager server rebooted.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

You need to upload W7 32 bit drivers using a W7 32bit workstation and 64bit W7 drivers from a 64 bit W7 workstation.

Thomas
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thsundel;2088497 wrote:
You need to upload W7 32 bit drivers using a W7 32bit workstation and 64bit W7 drivers from a 64 bit W7 workstation.

Thomas

Thomas - Thank you for your reply. Do you happen to have, or have you seen, anything official on this? I ask because we have been able to upload other drivers, like Windows NT 4, and the example in the manual illustrates uploading Windows XP drivers from a Windows 2000 workstation via the Add From File process. I have been unable to find anything in the knowledge base regarding this and I am not willing to throw a $750 incident away to be told it is a known bug (again). From a technical standpoint I am not sure how or why there would be a limit on the OS you use to simply upload a collection of files into a datastore.

Thanks again!
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

DHewes;2088534 wrote:
Thomas - Thank you for your reply. Do you happen to have, or have you seen, anything official on this? I ask because we have been able to upload other drivers, like Windows NT 4, and the example in the manual illustrates uploading Windows XP drivers from a Windows 2000 workstation via the Add From File process. I have been unable to find anything in the knowledge base regarding this and I am not willing to throw a $750 incident away to be told it is a known bug (again). From a technical standpoint I am not sure how or why there would be a limit on the OS you use to simply upload a collection of files into a datastore.

Thanks again!

Here is something official:

Novell Documentation

You can upload Windows 7 drivers from a Windows 7 workstation and Windows XP drivers from a Windows XP workstation, etc.

Thomas
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

thsundel;2088538 wrote:
Here is something official:

Novell Documentation

Thomas

Okay I might be wring here, found a book stating add from file should work ( Introduction to OES Printing )... I always though you need to upload drivers using the same OS as the driver, sry....

Thomas
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Actually that page is on specifically loading drivers using the Add From System option, as it states just above the line you quoted:

because most Windows workstations have an extensive list of printer drivers available on the system, the simplest way to add drivers for a Windows workstation is to upload them directly.

in in step 21 it says:
You can add drivers from the system only for the workstation type you are running.

and again if you go down to step 22 in the instructions.

This is from teh iManager built in help:

Driver Store Print Drivers
Drivers Platform
Select the operating system to add/delete print drivers from the Current Drivers list.

Note
By default, your workstation operating system is selected. You can add the driver only from your workstation operating system.

Add from File
Adds a print driver to the list from an .inf or .ppd file that you obtain from the printer vendor. If there is more than one driver in the .inf file, select the drivers that you want to install.

Add from System
Add drivers from the workstation you are running iManager from. The drivers installed on your workstation are made available for upload to the driver store. You can upload drivers only for the same platform as the workstation.

For example, if you are running iManager from a Windows* 2000 workstation, you can add only Windows 2000 print drivers. To add a print driver for Windows XP, you would need to add the XP driver from a .inf file that you downloaded from the manufacturer or .cab file that you copied from the XP installation CD, or use iManager from a Windows XP workstation.

And from teh OES 2 documentation online:

To add printer resources to the Driver Store:

1.In Novell iManager, click iPrint > Manage Driver Store, then browse to and select the Driver Store you want.

2.Click Drivers, then select the client platform you want to work with.

3.Do one of the following:

•Click Add from File to add printer resources from a printer driver .inf file or PPD file.

Uploading a PPD file is supported on the Firefox browser (Linux only).

•Click Add from System to add drivers from the workstation you are running iManager from.

The drivers installed on your workstation are made available for upload to the Driver Store. You can upload only drivers for the same platform as the workstation.

4.Select the driver you want, then click OK.

5.Click OK to save your changes.

While there is no explicit statement that an Add From File can be from any OS, intended for any OS, there is a clear statement in both places that Add From System must be performed that way. The obvious inference is that Add From File should have the flexibility. I know from testing just now that you can in fact upload drivers for Linux, Mac, Windows NT 4, Windows 2000 and Windows XP all from Windows XP. The error message I get is ONLY when Vista or Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit) is selected.

Again, all this process does is add the driver files to the server - not install them - there is no technical reason this should not work that I am aware of.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OK...I'm not crazy... If that were true (needing to install drivers from the OS and version) then an admin in a school district would need like 6 workstations in his/her office.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

DHewes;2088556 wrote:
OK...I'm not crazy... If that were true (needing to install drivers from the OS and version) then an admin in a school district would need like 6 workstations in his/her office.

Yeah, I'm not really 100% sure on this one.... But I agree if that is the case then it's a pain... but we always have VMware/VrtualBox for these kind of tasks 🙂

Thomas
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.