Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Changing an ip segement

I need a little help please. Currently I have a NW65 SP6 server at a remote location servicing 200 clients and running ndpsm. I have to change the ip address to a new segment for both the server and the printers. They have tobe changed at the same time.

Is there a way of performing an automated update on all of the workstations. The workstations seem to have the server ip enbeded into the printer port configuration. If I setup redirection and change the ip of the server, the redirection option never takes affect because the workstation is trying to communicate with the old server ip and thus never recieves the redirect. If create new printer objects with the new ip and perform a redirect to before changing the server ip, they will install but still have the old sever ip in the port configuration.

I am not sure what to do.

Thanks,
Al
0 Likes
1 Reply
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

What you need to do is create a DNS record for your server and load your Manager with the /dnsname option. Then let the server run for a few days like that. The server will then advertise the dns name to the clients and when a client sees that, it will change it's printer definition to use the dns name instead of the ip address to address the printer.
Once your clients have picked up the name, you can do the ip address chaneg and at the same time you change the dns record. Clients will then transparently connect to the new address. Be sure you don't use iprint direct during the transition period so that clients don't try the access the printers directly.
For more details on the dnsname option, see:
https://secure-support.novell.com/KanisaPlatform/Publishing/579/3536563_f.SAL_Public.html
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.