flauyven
Visitor.

Chrome App "Micro Focus iPrint Privacy Error"

We pushed the Micro Focus iPrint app for Chrome to a lot of our users through Google admin console. We noticed (on Chromebooks and also Windows machines and Macs where those users were signed into the Chrome browser) that "Micro Focus iPrint Privacy Error" boxes started popping up somewhat randomly. You could close one error and another would take its place immediately, lasting usually for a couple minutes until you could close them all without more appearing. Playing around with it a little, we found that sometimes (but not every time) going to a particular website would kick them off. If you clicked on "View Details" in the error box, sometimes it would show the website's address as the connection in question, other times it would show something like the address in the attached picture.

There's a closed thread that looks like it was about something similar: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php/502150-iPrint-Privacy-Error

In that thread most were pointing to the certificates on the appliance being the source of the issue. I'm not sure if that's the case with what we're seeing though, because at this point we are only pushing the app to these machines, we had not installed any printers to them from the appliance, and had not otherwise pointed them to our server. I've been told staff members are also seeing them on their home computers on which they've logged into the Chrome browser with their staff Google credentials.

Something else I've run into, which may or may not be related, we're running an environment right now where we have iPrint Appliance 3.0 installed for use by mobile devices, but are also running OES iPrint (OES 11 sp2) for desktops with iPrint client 6.06 installed. People are signing into the Chrome browser on Windows and Mac desktops and, because we're pushing the Micro Focus iPrint app to our users, are getting that app installed in the browser on their desktop. If they try to install a printer from our OES iPrint printers page using the Chrome browser, it also pops up those privacy error boxes from the Micro Focus iPrint app, with the address that it wants to trust being our OES iPrint print server manager. If we choose to then trust it, and go back and try to install a printer from the OES iPrint page, you get another error coming from the app that says "To add the printer, the iPrint Server must be upgraded to the latest version". If you remove the iPrint app from from Chrome, you can install printers from our OES iPrint page with no problem. When the app is installed, you can go to another browser and install printers, so there is a work-around, but as we get more Google-centric I think it will become more of an issue.
0 Likes
15 Replies
AutomaticReply Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Chrome App "Micro Focus iPrint Privacy Error"

flauyven,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

These forums are peer-to-peer, best effort, volunteer run and that if your issue
is urgent or not getting a response, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit https://www.microfocus.com/support-and-services and search the knowledgebase and/or check
all the other self support options and support programs available.
- Open a service request: https://www.microfocus.com/support
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.microfocus.com)
- You might consider hiring a local partner to assist you.
https://www.partnernetprogram.com/partnerfinder/find.html

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.microfocus.com/faq.php

Sometimes this automatic posting will alert someone that can respond.

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting or otherwise posted in error, please
ignore and accept our apologies and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand
to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Micro Focus Forums Team
http://forums.microfocus.com

0 Likes
dmantz Contributor.
Contributor.

Good afternoon,

I am Dean Mantz. It was my post you referenced regarding the alerts. Honestly, there still has not been a resolution to the issue. I am glad to see you posting in regards to this case too. I am currently running version 3.0.1 as an appliance and the iPrint client is 6.0.9. We still randomly get those same error messages. I can't pin down the exact cause. However, I am starting to wonder if there is an issue with the cert when Chrome may be open with other sites using https. I say this as there are times when those alerts appear and I click on the link provided and the URL attempted to be accessed refers to the site(s) open using https in their URL. Do you see this in your situation as well?

flauyven;2460726 wrote:
We pushed the Micro Focus iPrint app for Chrome to a lot of our users through Google admin console. We noticed (on Chromebooks and also Windows machines and Macs where those users were signed into the Chrome browser) that "Micro Focus iPrint Privacy Error" boxes started popping up somewhat randomly. You could close one error and another would take its place immediately, lasting usually for a couple minutes until you could close them all without more appearing. Playing around with it a little, we found that sometimes (but not every time) going to a particular website would kick them off. If you clicked on "View Details" in the error box, sometimes it would show the website's address as the connection in question, other times it would show something like the address in the attached picture.

There's a closed thread that looks like it was about something similar: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php/502150-iPrint-Privacy-Error

In that thread most were pointing to the certificates on the appliance being the source of the issue. I'm not sure if that's the case with what we're seeing though, because at this point we are only pushing the app to these machines, we had not installed any printers to them from the appliance, and had not otherwise pointed them to our server. I've been told staff members are also seeing them on their home computers on which they've logged into the Chrome browser with their staff Google credentials.

Something else I've run into, which may or may not be related, we're running an environment right now where we have iPrint Appliance 3.0 installed for use by mobile devices, but are also running OES iPrint (OES 11 sp2) for desktops with iPrint client 6.06 installed. People are signing into the Chrome browser on Windows and Mac desktops and, because we're pushing the Micro Focus iPrint app to our users, are getting that app installed in the browser on their desktop. If they try to install a printer from our OES iPrint printers page using the Chrome browser, it also pops up those privacy error boxes from the Micro Focus iPrint app, with the address that it wants to trust being our OES iPrint print server manager. If we choose to then trust it, and go back and try to install a printer from the OES iPrint page, you get another error coming from the app that says "To add the printer, the iPrint Server must be upgraded to the latest version". If you remove the iPrint app from from Chrome, you can install printers from our OES iPrint page with no problem. When the app is installed, you can go to another browser and install printers, so there is a work-around, but as we get more Google-centric I think it will become more of an issue.
0 Likes
warper2 Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

I am battling this currently for a customer with 600 chrome books. This certificate issue is a show stopper. These boxes keep popping up on chrome books. I wish there was a documented solution. Very frustrating.
0 Likes
dmantz Contributor.
Contributor.

warper2,

I am curious to know if you have any browser windows/tabs open to SSL sites when the messages appear. When you click on the link provided in the pop up windows, does it attempt to access the SSL site currently open? I ask this question due to the consistencey I am seeing in the alerts referencing the SSL site open in our browser at the time of the alert.
0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

Yes since it is a school environment and they are chrome books most things use the browser and ssl.
0 Likes
dmantz Contributor.
Contributor.

I think it is all tied back to the SSL sites being open in the browser. Why, I don't have a clue but that is the connection I am finding. Do you think this video will help you address the issue? https://goo.gl/WZ1YfT I am not sure it will help us since my users don't have to authenticate to a printing before submitting.
0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

We don't require authentication for the printers either. So I don't think that is a solution.
0 Likes
dmantz Contributor.
Contributor.

Agreed! I hope our conversatkion here will bring the topic back to the forefront and someone helps troubleshoot.
0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

One can only hope. I may have found something. I decided to try using a cert from /vastorage/conf/certs directory and used the vaserver.crt to import into admin console to push. Still testing but so far no popups and such. Need to additional testing to confirm. If this seems to resolve it I will post back.
0 Likes
Highlighted
flauyven
Visitor.

Dean, I apologize I never responded to you, I honestly thought I had replied a while ago. Was just going to post an update. I had thought that the updated version of the app/extension in July had helped out with this, but then just this morning heard from a couple people that they were seeing those pop-up messages again. I may open up an SR about it, unfortunately I can't reliably reproduce it in order to troubleshoot.

The update in July did seem to help with the issue of confusion within the Chrome browser between the iPrint extension and the OES iPrint client on Windows desktops. I haven't seen those errors since.
0 Likes
tmcgoffin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hello all, we are a school district with 3200 Chromebooks and 2700 desktops using the Chrome browser. We have had the same experience. The worst is with Windows systems connected to Interactive whiteboards and projectors. The error keeps reappearing, making it impossible for the teacher to use the scroll bar on the right side of the system. We all love the angry phone calls from teachers in the middle of a lesson!

We also feel like it is related to something from a website open in the browser at the time. I've seen a random URL showing up the Micro Focus details screen that looks like adware or a popup. We have been recommending clearing browser history and cookies and restarting. I am unsure if it really resolves it though and teachers don't like that answer as it interrupts the class and wastes valuable time.

Another issue (I will post separately but thought you all were a good target audience) we have a few iPrint 3.0 servers that don't allow us to choose mobile printing on any printers. Airprint, Mobile and Email are grayed out. The service is running and 3.0 license installed. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks for listening!

Teresa
0 Likes
sjdimare1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

warper2;2466683 wrote:
One can only hope. I may have found something. I decided to try using a cert from /vastorage/conf/certs directory and used the vaserver.crt to import into admin console to push. Still testing but so far no popups and such. Need to additional testing to confirm. If this seems to resolve it I will post back.

Where in GSuite admin did you add the certificate? I have an issue where our Chromebooks go to add a printer and because we use the self-signed certificate, there is the extra process of having to click the settings and then allow access. If the users want to install printers, they have to do this every time. If I could get the certificate to be accepted, I could just provide a printer link in the toolbar or even open the printer page on Chromebooks.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

FYI

iPrint Appliance 2.10.83
0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.

I gave up on that solution. I bought a 2 year wildcard cert for 80 bucks. Added it to iprint server and all headaches have been gone.
It works consistently.
0 Likes
sjdimare1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Well, I seem to have resolved the certificate error by adding the iprint server DNS to the Certificate Transparency URL Whitelist. It is working without incident for now on the one Chromebook that allows printer installs.

Now, on all of my Chromebooks running Chrome OS 71, I open the <iprint server/ipp webpage to install printers and the tutorial windows pops up and can not be closed so the user can not install any printers.

Any ideas how I can stop that from popping up? I was thinking there must be a way to edit that out of the page but not sure where to find that info.

I have a wildcard cert for our domain but it is not reasonably transparent to me how to add it to the appliance.

Steve D.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.