Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Converting Netware iPrint to OES2 iPrint?

Hello,

What is the best way to convert Netware iPrint to OES2 iPrint when iPrint is a cluster resource? We have a two node Netware cluster. I figure you migrate all the resources to node2. Remove node1 from the cluster. Insert the OES2 node1 into the cluster. Do you then install iPrint on the OES2 node1 and then use the OES2 migration tool to migrate the iPrint cluster resource from the Netware node2 to the OES2 node1? I am reading the "OES2sp2 iPrint for Linux Administration Guide" and it says when you want to cluster iPrint you need to "Run the iprint_nss_relocate script located at /opt/novell/iprint/bin". Is this still the case when the iPrint cluster resource already exists?

We also have the same scenario for DHCP and my question is the same for that as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Scott
0 Likes
11 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi Scott,

If my memory is correct (based upon the ATT lab thingy I took at Brainshare last month):

We basically ran the relocate script AFTER we had already created our clustered "new" iPrint resource. And then you run the miggui thingy so that it basically creates the new eDir printer agent thingies (I left a few steps out obviously).

However, if you want to use the same resource (existing NW Cluster resource), I asked, and basically you just skip the part about cluster creating the resource (meaning you simply migrated your NSS volume from NetWare to the OES2 node) and then run the relocating thingy.

But the steps we did in the lab (I'm looking at it now) have you creating a new cluster resource volume on the OES2 node and then we ran the iprint_nss_relocate script. According to the lab, we had to run the script once on each node (so you run it on NODE1, then migrate the resource to NODE2 and then run it again).

For DHCP I cannot help you out there, as we don't run DHCP in our main office on NetWare (it's on Sun Solaris, so we don't deal with that).
0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

On 16/04/2010 16:06, SJFast911 wrote:

> We also have the same scenario for DHCP and my question is the same for
> that as well.

I suggest you post the above (with details) in the DNS/DHCP forum @
http://forums.novell.com/novell-product-support-forums/netware/nw-other/dns-dhcp/

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partners (TTP) group. See www.novell.com/ttp for more details.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So, what you are saying that I should do is.

1. Create a new print resource on the new OES2/node1.
2. The run then iprint_nss_relocate script on the new OES2/node1.
3. Then run the migration tool to move the printer agents from the Netware node2 to new print resource that we just created on the OES2/node2.

Is this correct?

Thanks for your help. I have done this on a stand alone server but first time on a cluster.

Scott
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

SJFast911;1964206 wrote:
So, what you are saying that I should do is.

1. Create a new print resource on the new OES2/node1.
2. The run then iprint_nss_relocate script on the new OES2/node1.
3. Then run the migration tool to move the printer agents from the Netware node2 to new print resource that we just created on the OES2/node2.

Is this correct?

Thanks for your help. I have done this on a stand alone server but first time on a cluster.

Scott

That's what we did in the lab, and I think the docs pretty much state the same thing:

Novell Documentation

You will need to adjust your DNS settings if you wish to avoid printer reinstalls on your pc's.

So your CURRENT iPrint cluster resource may have an IP of say: 10.10.1.100 and have a DNS name of say: manager-nw.abc.com

When you make a new cluster resource (volume) on OES2, obviously it'll have a diff. IP and a diff. DNS name (say: 10.10.1.101 and manager-oes.abc.com)

After you migrate everything, just have your DNS entry of: manager-nw.abc.com resolve to the 10.10.1.101 IP and I think you'll be good to go.

(I used two diff. DNS names in my example so that you knew which one I was talking about). I don't see any reason you can't call the new one the same name as the old one once the migration is done (it's just a DNS entry).
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the confirmation. I actually found the documentation yesterday and like you said it did confirm what you were saying.

Thanks for the reminder about the dns thing. I think there is an actual file on the OES2 server that you have to change to reflect the print manager name so the printers do not get reinstalled.

Thanks again,
Scott
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

SJFast911;1964924 wrote:
Thanks for the confirmation. I actually found the documentation yesterday and like you said it did confirm what you were saying.

Thanks for the reminder about the dns thing. I think there is an actual file on the OES2 server that you have to change to reflect the print manager name so the printers do not get reinstalled.

Thanks again,
Scott

You're welcome glad I was of some help. We've not actually done one yet (for clustering). Hopefully in the next month or two we can start upgrading our cluster.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

SJFast911 schrieb:
> So, what you are saying that I should do is.
>
> 1. Create a new print resource on the new OES2/node1.
> 2. The run then iprint_nss_relocate script on the new OES2/node1.
> 3. Then run the migration tool to move the printer agents from the
> Netware node2 to new print resource that we just created on the
> OES2/node2.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> Thanks for your help. I have done this on a stand alone server but
> first time on a cluster.
>
> Scott
>
>

One Note.

As far i know you must do point 2. on every Node on the Cluster!

Thomas
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We got the approval to convert at least 35 servers this year with the possiblilty to get 50. The majority are two node clusters. We have 198 total to do. Should be interesting.

Scott
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks!

Scott
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

smflood;1963663 wrote:
On 16/04/2010 16:06, SJFast911 wrote:

> We also have the same scenario for DHCP and my question is the same for
> that as well.

I suggest you post the above (with details) in the DNS/DHCP forum @
Dns-Dhcp - NOVELL FORUMS

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)

Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partners (TTP) group. See Novell TTP Organization for more details.

One other thing to keep in mind, is that the migration utility (MIGGUI) although it claims to migrate the printers it actually renames the old one to PrinterAgentName_NW then creates a new object called PrinterAgentName.

So if you have printers that are already deployed they will need to be enabled through iPrint.ini to auto update.

You will probably also need to populate the iPrint re-direct URL in the old PA's.

Just check that you don't have any other reliance on the PA's name, such as some type of accounting..

Good luck.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

When I did a test migration of stand alone server I did not have to use the redirect option. In the migration I chose to have the new printers created in a new container. Not sure if thats why but the workstation's printers still worked after the migration.

I have heard of people using that option but not exactly sure why you would have to, in what situations it is necessary.

Thanks
Scott
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.