jasont Absent Member.
Absent Member.

HP Universal P.I.A.

We have an HP printer that was configured with the universal print driver on a Windows 7 pc. We were able to create a print driver profile as well. Now we need to duplicate that on Windows XP. However when trying to create the profile it has a message that says "cannot communicate with printer", "unable to set printer port to that address". Has anyone else encountered this and if so was there a solution to it?

Thanks
0 Likes
4 Replies
Marcel_Cox Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: HP Universal P.I.A.

jasont;2077902 wrote:
We have an HP printer that was configured with the universal print driver on a Windows 7 pc. We were able to create a print driver profile as well. Now we need to duplicate that on Windows XP. However when trying to create the profile it has a message that says "cannot communicate with printer", "unable to set printer port to that address". Has anyone else encountered this and if so was there a solution to it?

Thanks

Are the iprint client and the printer driver up to date on your XP machine?
0 Likes
jasont Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Marcel_Cox;2079744 wrote:
Are the iprint client and the printer driver up to date on your XP machine?

Thanks for the response. The client and driver were the most current version. The solution for us was to use a previous version of the driver instead of the most current one. Apparently the current driver must communicate directly with the printers through snmp to complete the installation.
0 Likes
technomoney Absent Member.
Absent Member.

jasont;2077902 wrote:

Thanks

I feel your pain. We too have been struggling with the HP Universal driver.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Happened to read the HP UPD fixes for the latest release today:

File name: upd-PCL6-X32-5_2_6_9321.exe (15 MB)

» Description » Installation Instructions » System Requirements Fixes » Readme

NEW FEATURES

For complete details of new and existing UPD features and management, please reference the UPD System Administrator's Guide. The following features were added to the UPD release:

ISSUES RESOLVED

The following list identifies key issues resolved in the release.

8668 When using UPD in dynamic mode, the status "Unable to communicate with printer" is shown after searching for a device by hostname

Now that probably has no relevance to your problem, but might be worth a shot possibly????

Cheerz
IanB
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.