Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
3521 views

How do you load printers from autoexec.ncf

I have looked at all the documentation I can find and at best it is
incomplete when it comes to loading printers at startup from autoexec.ncf

In my autoexec.ncf I have the following...

Load Broker.nlm

Load NDPSM.nlm printer1

This causes an error message and the need to highlight printer on the
manager screen and press enter.

Everything works fine I just want to get rid of the one manual action
required - press enter.

My broker name is printer and my manager name is printer1. So should I
have the following in autoexec.ncf?

Load Broker.nlm printer.context

Load NDPSM.nlm printer1

"Substitute the word context with the actual context name."

The error message seems to be from not completing the printer startup
automatically.
0 Likes
13 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How do you load printers from autoexec.ncf

Mike Finnegan wrote:

> My broker name is printer and my manager name is printer1. So should I
> have the following in autoexec.ncf?
>
> Load Broker.nlm printer.context
>
> Load NDPSM.nlm printer1


You need to fully-qualify the printer manager name, for example

load ndpsm ".printer1.whateverContext.whateverOrg"

The quotes are only necessary if your ndps manager contains a space, but
I always put them in out of habit.

--
Jim
NSC SYsop
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How do you load printers from autoexec.ncf

Also, be sensitive to the leading dot. The Broker and Print Manager
were written by different developers that used default context
differently. I know, this is crazy, but true

> Mike Finnegan wrote:
>
> > My broker name is printer and my manager name is printer1. So should

I
> > have the following in autoexec.ncf?
> >
> > Load Broker.nlm printer.context
> >
> > Load NDPSM.nlm printer1

>
> You need to fully-qualify the printer manager name, for example
>
> load ndpsm ".printer1.whateverContext.whateverOrg"
>
> The quotes are only necessary if your ndps manager contains a space,

but
> I always put them in out of habit.
>
> --
> Jim
> NSC SYsop


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How do you load printers from autoexec.ncf

iprintrox@iprint.novell.com wrote:
> Also, be sensitive to the leading dot. The Broker and Print Manager
> were written by different developers that used default context
> differently. I know, this is crazy, but true


Good point. In my experience BOTH ndpsm and broker have always worked
with the leading dot, so that it what I use. But if I recall, NDPSM
*needs* the dot, and broker will work either way.


--
Jim
NSC SYsop
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How do you load printers from autoexec.ncf

What is the ORG? Is it something to do with the printer setup?
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How do you load printers from autoexec.ncf

Org stands for Organization. Every tree has at least one. You have to
tell Broker and NDPSM where in the tree the relevant obects ore, so you
need to supply the right OU (Organizational Unit) and O (Org) names in
the load line.
--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
http://support.novell.com/forums
(Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail)

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How do you load printers from autoexec.ncf

We make use of the delaycmd.nlm so the broker has time to load before
the manager as follows (we also specify a service address and name)-

load broker .[broker_name].[ou]. /ipaddress=[ipaddress]

followed by...


load delaycmd 360 "load ndpsm .[manager_name].[ou]. /dnsname=[dnsname]"

You need quotes for delaycmd.nlm to work.

HTH

Charles

Mike Finnegan wrote:
> I have looked at all the documentation I can find and at best it is
> incomplete when it comes to loading printers at startup from autoexec.ncf
>
> In my autoexec.ncf I have the following...
>
> Load Broker.nlm
>
> Load NDPSM.nlm printer1
>
> This causes an error message and the need to highlight printer on the
> manager screen and press enter.
>
> Everything works fine I just want to get rid of the one manual action
> required - press enter.
>
> My broker name is printer and my manager name is printer1. So should I
> have the following in autoexec.ncf?
>
> Load Broker.nlm printer.context
>
> Load NDPSM.nlm printer1
>
> "Substitute the word context with the actual context name."
>
> The error message seems to be from not completing the printer startup
> automatically.

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How do you load printers from autoexec.ncf

Thanks for the Reply,

Ok, I got it. I don't use Organizational Units and my Organization is my
Context. The documentation and a lot folks conditioned thought patterns
assume that everyone is doing the most elaborate (text
book)configurations. You know - the way sales and marketing want you to
do it. That is a huge wall I run into when I look things up on my own. I
have a Single server, one Context which is also by default the
Organization. I got confused since both can be treated as separate
(context and organization)or combined (context/organization). I got all
the books (NW/GW 6.5) and read them, imagine that, but if your not some
interplanetary behemoth it sure makes things difficult to figure out.
The same with our one Post office, MTA and GWIA that is on that Single
server with one Context. Let me be absolutely clear that it is a mighty
important Single server to this company and to me personally.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How do you load printers from autoexec.ncf

Thanks for the reply.

I'll bet that I will need that delay also.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How do you load printers from autoexec.ncf

Mike Finnegan wrote:
> Let me be absolutely clear that it is a mighty
> important Single server to this company and to me personally.


I hope you have a good (read: recoverable) copy of DS that gets
backed-up frequently, then 😉 The most common way to keep DS safe is by
replicating is to multiple servers in the tree, something impossible to
do with a single server... so you have to restort to backing up DS directly.

--
Jim
NSC SYsop
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How do you load printers from autoexec.ncf

I have Veritas Backupexec 9.1.1158.4 and this time I got the Open File
and Disaster recovery options. I have rebuilt Netware servers from
scratch with out those options. You start with the CDs and after you
recreate the server then load the last service pack and patches then
restore from tape. I have done that several times both in need and
practice. I have become quite the expert on that. With the 2 new options
it should be a breeze. I do full backups Monday through Friday. I would
think that it would be a sad day at Novell if you needed to have 2
servers just to backup DS.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How do you load printers from autoexec.ncf

Mike Finnegan wrote:
> I would
> think that it would be a sad day at Novell if you needed to have 2
> servers just to backup DS.


Well, I never said you needed two servers to back up DS, but believe
me... having a live replica of your DS is still far preferable to
resorting to tape 😉

--
Jim
NSC SYsop
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How do you load printers from autoexec.ncf

For all the folks who manage large or diverse sites all the bells and
whistles must seem like manna from heaven. In fact I don't know how a
large site was managed with out them. Nearly all the documentation is
written with large and or diverse sites in mind. When you only have one
server its a killer to weed out all the fluff and stuff and just figure
out what actually applies to your single server environment. Most of the
time if I had half a dozen servers and dozens of (Os) and (OUs) and
replicas and so on I could whip out a book and have 30 examples of what
to do, keystroke by keystroke. With one server you read the books then
slam them against your forehead then POST IN ONE OF THESE FORUMS.;)

Nearly all of our applications have a client and you log into the App
from the client and not into the server. In fact our Netware server is
the only exception. Outside of myself I don't have users setup on any of
the other servers, they are setup in the App/Database. We have 2 unix, 4
Windows and 1 Netware servers. That and 70 workstations and 6 office,
VOIP, cisco routers and switches T1 lines and so on. I'm a one man
operation and all the (think networking this way) stuff is something
that I have little room to retain in my mind beyond immediate needs.
Then something else quickly takes it's place.

If someone wanted to make serious cash, writing books for small to lower
mid size environments would be a goldmine.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: How do you load printers from autoexec.ncf

load broker .[broker_name].context

load ndpsm .[manager_name].context

That did the job. I will keep the IP Address and delay in my records if
I need them down the road.

I want to thank all the folks who help out in these forums. Your efforts
are voluntary, indispensable and greatly appreciated.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.