Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Install printer from webpage on domain computer

Hello!

I have a problem installing printers via the https://servername/ipp page. Usually, if our techs need to install a printer on some workstation, they launch the browser as administrator, click on a printer, get prompted for their eDirectory username/password and can install the printer successfully.

The problem occurs if the workstation is joined to DSfW domain. In such case, if I launch the browser as LOCALPC\Admin (a local account in Administrators group), I get the message "Printer ipp://servername/printername failed to install. The specified username is invalid". iPrint does not prompt for username/password.
If I launch the browser as a member of Domain Administrators group I can install the printer, but I don't like the idea of making all technicians Domain Administrators just so they can occasionally install a printer (we generally use iPrint Client Management).
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Install printer from webpage on domain computer

Turns out the problem was caused by the name of local admin account, which is actually not Admin but is the same as our eDirectory tree name (I know, I know, not my decision...). I created a local admin account with another name and could install printer successfully.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We have added the iPrint ipp page as a Trusted Site in IE, so every user can install printer themselve without admin rights.
See TID 7005438 for more information.

Hope that helps.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Depending on platform you may also need to ensure the settings in iPrint.ini on the server allow for user installed printers.

Cheers
Ian
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.