Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Installing iPrint Appliance w/ iPrint running on Netware 6.5

Hello everyone,

Kind of a Noob here on this. I have been in the field for a while however with the new iPrint Appliance I am just kind of wary to install the appliance into our network so I do not interrupt our users and their printing needs.

I have a Netware server running 6.5 SP8 and I have iPrint installed in our tree for the district there. I have just installed the iPrint Appliance to one of our VMWare boxes and followed the install in the documentation, except when I get to the part for the iPrint Initial Configuration Wizard.

This is where I get the butterflies in the stomach and start rethinking 'should I do this?' So I come here to ask for some help.

Authentication Realm = It states this is where my users log in, is this correct to say it would be my District Tree that I would put here?
DNS for Print Manager = This one I am kind of lost on. This should be the IP that the iPrint appliance is installed on , or the IP for the DNS? Because in there it states to Specifiy a DNS name that follows the Print Manager?

Now when it comes to the Driver-Store do I use remote in this instance or Local?

I know this must seem very basic, so please if you can give me a basic heads up and a direction to go with this. I just do not want to mess up the printers I have setup already and have to go through and reinstall printers on every desktop in the district. We have about 40 printers +, and about 1600 computers so that would be a bad day for me.

Thanks for any help or insight you can give in this matter.

Jim G.
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Installing iPrint Appliance w/ iPrint running on Netware

I have the same setup as you and I've just installed the VA today. It was surprisingly easy so don't get discouraged! I started this at lunchtime and I'm printing by quitting time.

My setup:
Netware 6.5 SP8
VMWare ESX 5.5
iPrint VA 1.1

Settings I used
Authentication Realm: Your Tree Name
DNS for Print Manager: FriendlyNameForYouriPrintVA.yourDomain.ifyouhaveone.com (Create an A record that points here on your DNS server).
Driver Store: I didn't see a benefit in a remote store for our basic install, so I went with local.

The proxy user config for the LDAP import was slightly trickier - you need to get the DNs formatted correctly.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So the local keeps the store for the printer on the Netware server? Also did you have to setup LDAP? What was it that you ran into that was tricky? The DN's? So it basically takes over iPrint from your server to this server correct? Is that what you are seeing? I appreciate your help and suppport in this area....LIke I said been in this a while and when something works I don't mess with it but the VA seemed like a really good thing to have...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

* I understand that the VA runs it's own copy of OES and a standalone copy of eDirectory that is updated by import against one or LDAP sources (such as eDir or AD). Note that it's a one way import.
* "Local" setting for driver store keeps the driver store files on the VA itself. During the initial setup you would have been offered the choice to use a second virtual HDD for storage, in which case it is stored there instead. If you'd like to do this the beauty of the VA setup is that if you don't like your first attempt you can delete it from the header's disks, import the OVA file again and try again very quickly and easily.
* Netware iPrint (or OES iPrint for that matter) will still run and be usable until you tell it not to - it's a separate system.

To get the import working with your Netware tree you'll need a proxy user set up. If you've not done that before I can explain the steps that I took. Once your proxy user is configured, you can set up the sync in the VA.

Go to LDAP sources.

Here are the settings I used:

If your proxy user is not in the root/organisation folder of your tree you'll need to specify the OU in the DN as well (,ou=something)

Also don't take this too harshly but I disagree with the if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality. I think it defers small problems into larger problems later, and you miss out on valuable experience with the products in your system (which comes in handy later when said problems need fixing).
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

No offense taken. I usually do this sort of thing and plunge head first into updating, upgrading moving around servers and such, just that lately life has not been to kind on the easy part. I work on my server whenever I can, but working in a school district in a small town and the teachers are always on your butt about things going down (when it is really them messing up their systems)

As for the if it ain't broke, no worries. I do maint. and do what I can to ensure that it is running, but also it is novell. I have a server I have not touched in about 3 years and it still runs without any issue. There are only a few people using it, but it is a workhorse and I never have to worry about it. Now my Windows Servers, gotta baby those like there is no tomorrow.

Anyway I will do what you suggested and give it a go. I need to upgrade to the latest and greatest but now is not a good time. Today is the last day for teachers to get grades in and they are doing report cards so I think I will wait till the next quarter and change it over. Thanks for all the info and I will let you know how it went or of any problems I find.

Seems odd we have an online gradebook that should be kept up to date, but they still need a day to get grades in and give the kids a day off from school to do it.? Ah I am just the IT guy, what do I know......

It is really good to know though that I can move forward somewhat and not interfere with the printers as they stand until I want the VA to take over and turn it off on Netware when I am ready.

My only other question is any difference for the printers on the workstations? I see for iprint it shows the IP of the server where iPrint is now, how does it affect those? Reason being I have about 1500 systems (Laptops,Desktops) and I would hate to touch them all for that. There are only two IT people here and I not only take care of the servers I am also the Sr. IT tech, network admin, server admin, software admin, etc.... the other tech is just a tech.

Just curious about that little aspect of it. What happened when you switched over?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.