Highlighted
rjneilly
New Member.

LPR Communication Failed

Hi,

I'm just getting started with iPrint on OES/Linux (v11 sp1), so please bear with me 🙂

When I set up a printer with the gateway command parameters "Port=LPR HOSTNAME=PXXX.SUB.DOM.AIN PRINTERNAME=PASSTHROUGH" or "Port=RAW HOSTNAME=PXXX.SUB.DOM.AIN" the error message on the iprint health status page says "LPR Communication Failed".

However if I manually edit the gateway command to put in the actual port number, eg "Port=515" or "Port=9100", then there is no error message on the printer health monitor. OTOH there is an error message in /var/log/messages:
Jul 17 13:02:45 n11 iprintgw[11896]: Unknown PORT param '515 HOSTNAME=pxxx.sub.dom.ain PRINTERNAME=PASSTHROUGH' for printer 'Pxxx-BW'
Jul 17 13:03:38 n11 iprintgw[11896]: Unknown PORT param '9100 HOSTNAME=pxxx.sub.dom.ain for printer 'Pxxx-BW'

Weird eh? Is there an explanation for this? A fix?

In comparison our NetWare 6.5 iPrint has no problems with "Port=RAW" to the exact same device - a Xerox Workstation 5470.

Cheers,

Ron
0 Likes
2 Replies
rjneilly
New Member.

Re: LPR Communication Failed

I do not have an explanation for the wierd behaviour of port=raw vs port=9100, but I do have the solution to what fixes it : firewall and ACL rules. Once the server was put into the right group in our firewall and once the ACL on the printers vlan was fixed it all started working.

Cheers,

Ron
0 Likes
Community Manager kgroneman Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: LPR Communication Failed

Ron, thanks for coming back with the solution. It's appreciated.
--
My computer used to beat me at chess all the time, but then I changed the competition to kick boxing.......
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.