Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
999 views

Migrating NetwWare to Linux iPrint

In the server consolidation docs it states that all the new printer agents
are put in one OU because it "avoids unnecessary calls to eDirectory for
printer information."

Is this really an issue or did they not want to deal with the object
classses being different and they could not but them back in the same place
because the there would be a naming problem?

Also I found the rights do not follow as well, is there a fix for this?


0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Migrating NetwWare to Linux iPrint

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:50:41 +0000, Robert Stout wrote:

> In the server consolidation docs it states that all the new printer agents
> are put in one OU because it "avoids unnecessary calls to eDirectory for
> printer information."
>
> Is this really an issue or did they not want to deal with the object
> classses being different and they could not but them back in the same
> place because the there would be a naming problem?


Well, as all communication goes via the Print Manager, it does all eDir
lookups. So, if the print objects are in the same ou, there will be less
tree walking and partition boundary crossing. I would also reckon that
it's more manageable if you have create a printing ou...

> Also I found the rights do not follow as well, is there a fix for this?


What's happening?

--
Mark Robinson
Novell Volunteer SysOp
www.nds8.co.uk
One by one the penguins steal my sanity...

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Migrating NetwWare to Linux iPrint

Using the server consolidation utility to copy over the iPrint printers the
printers get copied over but the rights that are asigned to them are not
copied. The user and operator amd manger roles are not copied.

As to the all printers in one OU I have always kept the printers near the
users. Right now I have over 550 printers and to have them all in one OU is
a little much. I have no WAN issues and all servers are on a gig back bone
in the same server rack. A replica of the entire tree is on the server that
hosts the manager and driver store how can it slow it down?


"Mark Robinson" <mark.robinson@no.spam.please.nds8.co.uk> wrote in message
news:pan.2007.04.23.19.45.20.439037@no.spam.please.nds8.co.uk...
> On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:50:41 +0000, Robert Stout wrote:
>
>> In the server consolidation docs it states that all the new printer
>> agents
>> are put in one OU because it "avoids unnecessary calls to eDirectory for
>> printer information."
>>
>> Is this really an issue or did they not want to deal with the object
>> classses being different and they could not but them back in the same
>> place because the there would be a naming problem?

>
> Well, as all communication goes via the Print Manager, it does all eDir
> lookups. So, if the print objects are in the same ou, there will be less
> tree walking and partition boundary crossing. I would also reckon that
> it's more manageable if you have create a printing ou...
>
>> Also I found the rights do not follow as well, is there a fix for this?

>
> What's happening?
>
> --
> Mark Robinson
> Novell Volunteer SysOp
> www.nds8.co.uk
> One by one the penguins steal my sanity...
>



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Migrating NetwWare to Linux iPrint

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 21:52:39 +0000, Robert Stout wrote:

> Using the server consolidation utility to copy over the iPrint printers
> the printers get copied over but the rights that are asigned to them are
> not copied. The user and operator amd manger roles are not copied.


Ah, didn't realise that. I don't think there is any way of changing that
behaviour.

> As to the all printers in one OU I have always kept the printers near
> the users. Right now I have over 550 printers and to have them all in
> one OU is a little much. I have no WAN issues and all servers are on a
> gig back bone in the same server rack. A replica of the entire tree is
> on the server that hosts the manager and driver store how can it slow it
> down?


I can see your point here. I don't think there's anything that we are
going to be able to do about this for the existing tool, but I am on
pretty good terms with the migration tools guys so I will ask what's
happening with the new tools for OES 2.

--
Mark Robinson
Novell Volunteer SysOp
www.nds8.co.uk
One by one the penguins steal my sanity...

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.