Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Migrating iPrint printers from one Manager to another

I am trying to migrate a mass of printers onto a new manager with a different name. I found the server consolidation utility but when I move a printer from one manager to another the user is notified that their printer is removed and no new printer is installed. Is it possible to move a printer from one manager/server to another with a different name/context without interupting thousands of users?

Also, is their a max number of printers that a manager can support?

Thanks for any info!
0 Likes
6 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Also, these are iPrint printers and the new manager is on OES NetWare 6.5.8.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

When I move the PA in iManager from one manager to another, the printer is removed from the workstation, but not reinstalled. I am using the latest iPrint client (5.12) on my test machine. Could this be something I am doing wrong? They are moving from a manager on NetWare 6.5.7.

Thanks again!
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

To get the clear understanding of the problem, Can you tell us which utility you are using is it server consolidation management utility or OES2 Migration utility.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

srrag;1721365 wrote:
To get the clear understanding of the problem, Can you tell us which utility you are using is it server consolidation management utility or OES2 Migration utility.

I've tried 2 different ways to move the printers and both result in the PA moving to the proper area, but all printers being removed from the workstation and not being reinstalled... kind of a pain. I've moved the PAs in iManager 2.7 and using the SCMT (Novell Server Consolidation and Migration Toolkit 1.2.070914).

I should be able to move the printers to a new manager right? I also tried creating printer on the new manager with the same name, then using the Printer redirect to redirect / reinstall new printers on workstations but nothing happens... It works when I do it to one printer on my manager to another on the same manager, just not from on manager to another (if that makes any sense).

Thanks again for any info!!

Dennis
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Should I be able to move the PAs from one manger to another without causing them to remove from each workstation?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ddevore9;1729671 wrote:
Should I be able to move the PAs from one manger to another without causing them to remove from each workstation?

I'm going through this myself and have found that printer redirection is the way to accomplish this task. Moving PA's forces the installed printers to be removed from the Windows Workstation (and not reinstalled). Using printer redirect not only removes the printer but installs the redirected printer specified.

I have this working in my enviornment without any special tricks.

I have nw6.5 sp7 iprint boxes all running NDPS (iprint) v4.0.7. The workstations are running windows xp sp3, the iprint client v4.32 and novell client v4.91sp3 (without the NDPS component).

You may want to look into the iprint.ini file (SYS\apache2\htdocs\ippdocs) to check the upgrade settings here. Or you may need to turn on logging on the client and/or server to see more verbose messages. If you are typing in the Printer URL in the Printer Redirection screen I would recommend you browse for the Printer Agent instead. Does the new Print Manager allow users to install printers normally? If not, maybe theres the issue.

If you have solved this problem already, please let me know what was the cause. Thanks!!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.