Highlighted
vmastrol Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Move NDPS Printer to new container

Is there any way to move a printer object to a new container and not have to re-install the printer driver on the client machines? We want to change all our NDPS printers to iPrint during this process as well. Can anyone advise of a easy way to do this with minimal disruption to users printing?
0 Likes
4 Replies
Marcel_Cox Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Move NDPS Printer to new container

Maybe you should switch to iPrint first and only move the objects once the clients no longer address the NDPS objects. In fact, the iPrint URLs do not depend on the object location in the tree and so iPrint pritners will not be affected by a move. Furthermore, through a properly configured iprint.ini file, the upgrade from NDPS to iPrint on the client side can be automated.
0 Likes
vmastrol Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Marcel_Cox;1602375 wrote:
Maybe you should switch to iPrint first and only move the objects once the clients no longer address the NDPS objects. In fact, the iPrint URLs do not depend on the object location in the tree and so iPrint pritners will not be affected by a move. Furthermore, through a properly configured iprint.ini file, the upgrade from NDPS to iPrint on the client side can be automated.

Thanks for the reply. We are using iPrint for our student printers but haven't fully deployed it to staff. The printer object names need to be changed in line with our new organisation so I am not sure if your suggestion will be applicable. However, I have discovered a utility called PAGen which enables you to create a large number of printer objects and associate them to a print manager all from a csv file. I will look into using that and hopefully not be in this pickle again.

Thanks
0 Likes
lcomars Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Marcel, can you go into further detail on that *.ini file? We are in the process of going from Netware to OES Linux and the first step is to get the iprint client on the workstations (which is done). Now I want to be able to convert all of the NDPS printers to iPrint. Now, I do have some RPM's setup on some Groups. Would I need to delete those? I'm assuming so. Also, is there a way to see which groups have NDPS printers being pushed out to them or do I have to go through each group and look? Thanks for your help.
0 Likes
Marcel_Cox Absent Member.
Absent Member.

lcomars wrote:

>Marcel, can you go into further detail on that *.ini file?

The iprint.ini file can be found in sys:apache2\htdocs\ippdocs (I'm not
100% sure about the path, I type it from memory).
The file is full of comments documenting each single option that is
available.

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcel Cox's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.