Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ndps to Iprint migration

Hi all,

I am looking to migrate properly and as simply as possible my old Ndps server which is running under a Netware 6 server to a iPrint server running under Linux Oes2Sp2.

Prior to this migration I have successfully migrated my NSS, dhcp and dns server from Netware 6 to Linux Oes2Sp2.

I have been looking for some info but the only documentations I found deals with migration from iPrint to iPrint, not from Ndps.

Does anyone had already experienced such this migration ?
0 Likes
7 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Additionnaly about 300+ printers and 800+ users are concerned by the migration.....
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 17:26:03 +0000, nhoareau wrote:

> I am looking to migrate properly and as simply as possible my old Ndps
> server which is running under a Netware 6 server to a iPrint server
> running under Linux Oes2Sp2.
>
> Prior to this migration I have successfully migrated my NSS, dhcp and
> dns server from Netware 6 to Linux Oes2Sp2.
>
> I have been looking for some info but the only documentations I found
> deals with migration from iPrint to iPrint, not from Ndps.

You'll need to convert the NDPS printers to iPrint printers first. Then
you can use the migration tools to migrate the iPrint printers from
NetWare to OES2.

--
Joe Marton
Novell Knowledge Partner

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Actually, the latest versions of the migration tools do not require the conversion of NDPS Printers to iPrint/Netware printers first - they'll do the conversion for you and then migrate them strait to iPrint for you.
The feature was snuck into a readme file somewhere and I don't believe the documentation was ever update.
I'd recommend you try it with a Printer Agent or two first to be sure you're happy with the process, but back in September we did around 250 printers this way

Richard Brown // Systems Engineering Team Leader // City College Brighton and Hove
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The migration tool does indeed not care whether the source printers are iPrint enabled or not. The migration tools just read the NDPS database and extract the printer information from there. The issue however is the client side. If your pritners are installed as NDPS printers on your client and you migrate your printers to OES2/Linux, then no workstation will be able to print any more and users will not be happy. For this very reason, it is best to first enable iPrint on the NetWare side (if it hasn't already been done), then migrate your workstations form NDPS to iPrint (this can be nicely automated through the upgrade settings in iPrint.ini) and finally migrate your printers from NetWare to Linux.
Now it is feasible to actually migrate the workstations from NDPS/NetWare to iPrint/Linux printers through the same iprint.ini mechanism provided the iPrint objects have the same names as the old NDPS objects. However such a migration is more risky because if something goes wrong, your NDPS pritners are gone and you may end up with a hige number of workstations that can't print and where you may potentially have to manually install the new printers. I have done such a migration from NDPS on NetWare 5.1 to iPrint on OES2SP1/Linux and it fortunately worked. However it was a relatively small site with just 10 Network printers and so the risk was limited.

BTW there is another gotcha you need to be aware of.
In NDPS, there were no XP printers but Windows 2000 drivers would be used for XP if no XP specific pritners were defined through iManager. When migrating to iPrint/Linux, this is no longer true. XP workstations will require XP drivers to be associated to the printers. There is no fall back to Windows 2000 drivers.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Aha, yeah,thinking back on it now, we actually used our migration as an excuse to tidy up our NDPS objects. We migrated the NDPS/Netware printers to iPrint/Linux, then removed a large amount of old objects, and renamed the remaining ones to match a new naming scheme.
We used Zenworks iPrint policies to roll out the printers to our labs, with other users being given instructions on how to install their own printers.

A staged approach of NDPS/Netware > iPrint/Netware > iPrint/Linux would probably be a better solution unless you're wanting to use the migration as an excuse for a big tidy up too.
Good luck!

Richard Brown // Systems Engineering Team Leader // City College Brighton and Hove
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

>BTW there is another gotcha you need to be aware of.
>In NDPS, there were no XP printers but Windows 2000 drivers would be used for XP if no >XP specific pritners were defined through iManager. When migrating to iPrint/Linux, this is >no longer true. XP workstations will require XP drivers to be associated to the printers. >There is no fall back to Windows 2000 drivers.

We have enhanced the migration tool to take care of this in the recent versions. If you still see a problem please update.
thanks,
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

rchakraborty wrote:

>We have enhanced the migration tool to take care of this in the recent
>versions. If you still see a problem please update.

I haven't tried the latest version, but it is good to hear this problem
has been solved. I guess I started my migrations one year too early and
had to strugle with all the bugs of the migration tool in OES2SP1.

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcel Cox's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.