Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1436 views

New appliance - no padbtxt.xml

Hi,

I have built a number of 1.1 appliances but I have one site where it all builds fine - but there is no padbtxt.xml file under /var/opt/novell/iprint/print_manager.iPrintAppliance.psm/

I have done the initial config via :9443 page

I can log into iManager and the appliance_string shows up.
I can upload drivers.

However, if I try creating a Printer Driver Profile (which are stored in this xml file) then it fails with "insufficient rights" but more likely that it hasn't got a file to open !

I removed the VM and did this twice more. Not being insane I expected and got the same outcome - no padbtxt.xml !

I see there was a bug fix listed for OES in May last year for incomplete data being written to this file.

No other sites seem affected - and I can't think why this one would be different ?

Is there a log which would capture this ?

Any thoughts appreciated..

Ian
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: New appliance - no padbtxt.xml

On 02/11/2015 09:06 AM, iblackwood wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have built a number of 1.1 appliances but I have one site where it all
> builds fine - but there is no padbtxt.xml file under
> /var/opt/novell/iprint/print_manager.iPrintAppliance.psm/
>
> I have done the initial config via :9443 page
>
> I can log into iManager and the appliance_string shows up.
> I can upload drivers.
>
> However, if I try creating a Printer Driver Profile (which are stored in
> this xml file)


This is not correct. Everything is stored on the printermanager
database. the padbtxt.xml is just a copy/backup txt file

1. Go to https://printermangername/psmstatus/misc

- is the padbtxt.xml listed on the Database XML file field? if it is
click on it. Error?

- if is not, on the same screen click on Backup database. This should
copy the data into padbtxt.xml. Any errors?

2. On the appliance console type:

# ll /var/opt/novell/iprint/

and

# ll /var/opt/novell/iprint/print_manager.iPrintAppliance.psm

compare both outputs to a working one, maybe owner/rights differences?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: New appliance - no padbtxt.xml

Hi Mysterious,

1. Go to https://printermangername/psmstatus/misc

Get prompted for credentials. Enter credentials - insufficient rights to access this page.
Login to iManager on that appliance works fine.
Login to misc page on working appliance also works fine.

2. On the appliance console type:

# ll /var/opt/novell/iprint/

and

# ll /var/opt/novell/iprint/print_manager.iPrintAppliance.psm

compare both outputs to a working one, maybe owner/rights differences?

Same entries, same user and groups and permissions.

Any other thoughts on what to look at ?

I am pulling hair trying to figure why this instance only is different....

Cheers
Ian
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: New appliance - no padbtxt.xml

On 02/20/2015 12:46 AM, iblackwood wrote:
>
> Hi Mysterious,
>
> 1. Go to https://printermangername/psmstatus/misc
>
> Get prompted for credentials. Enter credentials - insufficient rights to
> access this page.
> Login to iManager on that appliance works fine.
> Login to misc page on working appliance also works fine.
>
> 2. On the appliance console type:
>
> # ll /var/opt/novell/iprint/
>
> and
>
> # ll /var/opt/novell/iprint/print_manager.iPrintAppliance.psm
>
> compare both outputs to a working one, maybe owner/rights differences?
>
> Same entries, same user and groups and permissions.
>
> Any other thoughts on what to look at ?
>
> I am pulling hair trying to figure why this instance only is
> different....
>
> Cheers
> Ian
>
>


I've never seen this one on appliance but this kind of error is related
to the apache user/groups and rights.

1. When prompting for credentials, are you using the admin created
during appliance configuration? or did you manually created a new admin
thru iMan on the appliance?

2. did you manually created the printmanager on the appliance?

3. without see the logs files, i can not determinate why is giving the
error
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: New appliance - no padbtxt.xml

Hi Mysterious,

1. Admin created during iPrint Initial Configuration Wizard > Embedded Data Store > Administrator yada yada

2. No did not manually create. I just checked with the iManager on this appliance and the print manager and driver store objects do exist.

3. Which log files would I find useful ?

Cheers
Ian
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: New appliance - no padbtxt.xml

On 02/25/2015 04:26 AM, iblackwood wrote:
>
> Hi Mysterious,
>
> 1. Admin created during iPrint Initial Configuration Wizard > Embedded
> Data Store > Administrator yada yada
>
> 2. No did not manually create. I just checked with the iManager on this
> appliance and the print manager and driver store objects do exist.
>
> 3. Which log files would I find useful ?
>
> Cheers
> Ian
>
>


on the psmsatus page, there is an option to backup the database. This
will create a new padbtxt.xml. Check ipsmd.log when doing it to see if
any error is thrown

A supportconfig of the appliance will contain the iprint plugin with the
necessary logs file to see if any error is thrown
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: New appliance - no padbtxt.xml

I deleted and redeployed from OVF.

I did initial config and licensed it, then enabled SSH and checked the padbtxt.xml still didn't exist (it didn't).

Then I went straight to the psmstatus/misc page. This time the edir admin credentials worked to login to that page.

Database XML file was (none)

Did a backup database and it created it. Checking the file system and it even has the "original" file renamed as padbtxt1.xml that was NOT there before !

Still have no idea why this one appliance is different to the other 12 or so....

Thanks for the help. I learnt more about the appliance !

Cheers
Ian
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: New appliance - no padbtxt.xml

On 02/27/2015 11:46 AM, iblackwood wrote:
>
> I deleted and redeployed from OVF.
>
> I did initial config and licensed it, then enabled SSH and checked the
> padbtxt.xml still didn't exist (it didn't).
>
> Then I went straight to the psmstatus/misc page. This time the edir
> admin credentials worked to login to that page.
>
> Database XML file was (none)
>
> Did a backup database and it created it. Checking the file system and it
> even has the "original" file renamed as padbtxt1.xml that was NOT there
> before !
>
> Still have no idea why this one appliance is different to the other 12
> or so....
>
> Thanks for the help. I learnt more about the appliance !
>
> Cheers
> Ian
>
>


No ides as well why this is happening 🙂

Glad it is working now
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.