Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OSX + iPrint + Printer Authentication Help

Hi all,

Need someone to give me the skinny on iPrint + Mac OSX (snow leopard) + Secure printing.

Basically we have been Windows only, running Client32 and the iPrint client. This is all easy and worked well for many years. Now I need to get OSX printing to the iPrint system.

So far I am just creating a new test Printer Agent with secure printing enabled. I can't get the authentication to work, when installing the printer from a Windows XP machine or from OSX. It prompts for credentials when installing but does not accept anything. On Windows XP, the username field is pre-populated with a full distinguised eDir username (.user.ou.ou.o), and on OSX I have tried just username and full DN combos. In either OS, it just bounces back with "Printer authenticaion failed, do you want to try again?"

If I use a non-secure iPrint printer, the printer installs and prints just fine on OSX. I got the PPD file from the files included within OSX and uploaded it to the broker.

So basically I think I need to work out the authentication/secure printing issues because that does not even work from Windows. Where can I start with this??

TIA for any advice.
0 Likes
7 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Oh, forgot to mention MAC OSX iPrint client is v05.00.00. Server is NW65SP8 with the post-SP8 iPrint updates.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

do all your user accounts have the uniqueID attribute?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,
Yes they do.

I have done some DSTRACE work and can see that I am issues with certificates. I will report back with screen dumps of that tomorrow.

Thanks
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

hi, attached is a screen grab from DS Trace output.

Where should I start looking? I was thinking certificates initially because earlier in the year I had moved the CA to a different server.. but after repairing at the time and now a PKIDiag is showing all good?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

make sure your certificates on that server are ok.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

obrieg;1984182 wrote:
make sure your certificates on that server are ok.

Yep, well PKIdiag reports that all things are OK.

Where else?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On the access control tab, do you have the users defined properly?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.