UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1290 views

Ongoing NW 6.5 SP6 Print issues




Hello,
I recently upgraded a NetWare 6.5 server to Support Pack 6 and I've followed
the threads here on all the iprint issues. I applied the post SP6 NDPS
patches since we were seeing some of issues outlined in the TIDs/Wiki.

I'm currently running NDPSM.NLM 3.02 dated 11/30/2006 and NDPSGW.NLM 4.00.05
dated 11/16/2006. I have approximately 100 printers attached, mostly Jet
Directs and Dell (Lexmark) using LPR. We are seeing frequent
LPR communication failures with these printers now requiring a
shutdown/restart of the printer. It seems to happen mostly with the
standalone Jet Direct boxes that have dot matrix (Okidata) printers attached
to them. I tried switching one of them to the RAW (9100) mode, but I am
still getting reports of the problem. This particular issues does not seem
to be addressed by any of the TIDs/patches.

Has anyone else seen this? Any other ideas on how to work around it? I'm
starting to regret loading SP6! ugh!

Thanks!


0 Likes
13 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Are the communication failures new to SP6? If so, just revert the
NDPSGW.NLM to the SP5 version. This file is relatively indpendent on the
other NDPS files and can be backreved without reverse effect.

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.


Yep, printing was perfect before applying SP6. SP6 has created a total
printing nightmare.

I did try back reving both ndpsm and ndpsgw and that crashed the server. So
I will try just back-revving to the SP5 version of NDPSGW and see if that
works.



>>> On 12/29/2006 at 3:31 AM, in message <en2jh5$i12$1@linux.cie.etat.lu>,

Marcel Cox<cimetmc@myrealbox.com> wrote:
> Are the communication failures new to SP6? If so, just revert the
> NDPSGW.NLM to the SP5 version. This file is relatively indpendent on the
>
> other NDPS files and can be backreved without reverse effect.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We have the same problem with dot matrix printer.

Do you have found any fix?

Regards
Andreas
UVEX Safety Group
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.


We tried back-reving NDPSGW to the SP5 version, but I'm still getting
reports of problems with the dot matrix printers.

I'm not sure what else to try at this point either!



>>> On Tue, Jan 2, 2007 at 8:11 AM, in message

<4Ssmh.22516$jS4.2416@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Andreas
Ebert<A.Ebert@uvex-no-spam.de> wrote:
> We have the same problem with dot matrix printer.
>
> Do you have found any fix?
>
> Regards
> Andreas
> UVEX Safety Group

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Matt Weisberg wrote:

>but I'm still getting
>reports of problems with the dot matrix printers.


still LPR communication issues or something else?

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.


I thought it was, but upon further investigation, I'm finding that
additional problems are being blamed on this
(typical, eh?). So far, I think back revving the NDPSGW.NLM has solved the
LPR comm. problems for the Dot Matrix printers. I'll keep watching it and
let you know if it does not.



>>> On Tue, Jan 2, 2007 at 9:55 AM, in message

<endric$c4d$4@linux.cie.etat.lu>, Marcel Cox<cimetmc@myrealbox.com>
wrote:
> Matt Weisberg wrote:
>
>>but I'm still getting
>>reports of problems with the dot matrix printers.

>
> still LPR communication issues or something else?

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

back revving the NDPSGW.NLM has solved the
LPR comm. problems for us.

But we have still problems, if our AS/400 prints a job with copies over LPR to our NDPS Manager. Then after SP6 the jobs never ends. The job will be transmitted again and again. It seems that the new NDPS manager does not feed back to the AS/400, that the LPR job is already transmitted. This did not happen with the SP5 NDPS manager.

I am going to open an incident .....

Regards
Andreas
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have had a long ongoing incident open with Novell on this very issue. I
have this problem with the external USB 175x JetDirects and the small cheap
internal directs that came with the 1200 and 1300's. I never had the issue
with the more expensive 6xx internal jet directs. I sent them a printer and
after a month they were finally able to replicate the issue. For some reason
the external 170x parallel's work fine. I was beta testing several ndpsgw
modules all the way up to just before SP6 was released. The last one they
gave me made matters much worse. I was even getting the LPR issues with the
6xx cards that never had a problem. But before I could work with support on
it they released it. Now they have the debacle with that version. They are
working on a beta for me to try but have not yet gotten it to me. They are
well aware of the problems with the new gateway. You may have noticed that
when the gateway gives a communication error you can still ping the printer
from the server prompt. I have rolled back the ndpsgw with out any server
abend issues. I will keep this thread posted. Just a side note, the HP
gateway has no such issues. I have converted printers that were having
issues as a test and they work fine. To bad it is not around anymore.
"Matt Weisberg" <mweisberg@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
news:45943215.0F97.0099.0@myrealbox.com...
>
>
>
> Hello,
> I recently upgraded a NetWare 6.5 server to Support Pack 6 and I've
> followed
> the threads here on all the iprint issues. I applied the post SP6 NDPS
> patches since we were seeing some of issues outlined in the TIDs/Wiki.
>
> I'm currently running NDPSM.NLM 3.02 dated 11/30/2006 and NDPSGW.NLM
> 4.00.05
> dated 11/16/2006. I have approximately 100 printers attached, mostly Jet
> Directs and Dell (Lexmark) using LPR. We are seeing frequent
> LPR communication failures with these printers now requiring a
> shutdown/restart of the printer. It seems to happen mostly with the
> standalone Jet Direct boxes that have dot matrix (Okidata) printers
> attached
> to them. I tried switching one of them to the RAW (9100) mode, but I am
> still getting reports of the problem. This particular issues does not
> seem
> to be addressed by any of the TIDs/patches.
>
> Has anyone else seen this? Any other ideas on how to work around it? I'm
> starting to regret loading SP6! ugh!
>
> Thanks!
>
>



0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

There is now a patch for the LPR communication issues:

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2974964.htm

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks but it does still not fix our LPR problem.

Regards
Andreas
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Ditto, doesn't fix our LPR problems either. Will try the SP5 gw.
> There is now a patch for the LPR communication issues:
>
> http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2974964.htm
>
> --
> Marcel Cox
> http://support.novell.com/forums


0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.