Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1258 views

PDF supported IPP printers ?

Questions on deploying the new 3.2 PDF functionality...

I've checked the documentation but it is a bit light on detail. 🙂

Is there a list of PDF supported IPP printers that are available or some way of determining those that are compatible with this feature ?

It looks like "direct_pdf_print" is an appliance-wide setting being in /etc/opt/novell/iprintmobile/conf/iprintmobile.conf ? Is that correct ?

If it is an appliance-wide setting, is there any graceful fallback or do I need to make sure that EVERY mobile enabled printer is "PDF Supported IPP" before I can enable "direct_pdf_print" ?

Anyone using it yet, would appreciate feedback as this would be a good win for us.

Cheers
Ian
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On 07-11-18 05:14, iblackwood wrote:
>
> Questions on deploying the new 3.2 PDF functionality...
>
> I've checked the documentation but it is a bit light on detail. 🙂
>
> Is there a list of PDF supported IPP printers that are available or some
> way of determining those that are compatible with this feature ?



I'm not aware of any list, you may check with the printer manufacture
directly or google it. HP, OKI,Xerox, Ricoh....all have support for it
in various models.


>
> It looks like "direct_pdf_print" is an appliance-wide setting being in
> /etc/opt/novell/iprintmobile/conf/iprintmobile.conf ? Is that correct ?


Yes

>
> If it is an appliance-wide setting, is there any graceful fallback or do
> I need to make sure that EVERY mobile enabled printer is "PDF Supported
> IPP" before I can enable "direct_pdf_print" ?
>


No, there is a graceful fallback
Printer needs to support direct pdf printing and support ipp as well.
When this setting is enable on appliance, printer will be queried using
ipp to determine if direct pdf printing is supported. If printer replies
affirmative, pdf files will be sent directly to the printer but if
printer does not reply or it does with a negative answer, then the
traditional method will be used ( either internal renderer or windows
renderer will be used)


> Anyone using it yet, would appreciate feedback as this would be a good
> win for us.
>


I've used Xerox and Ricoh printer successfully.


> Cheers
> Ian
>
>


0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

That's good.

It seems that each printer vendor uses their own marketing term for it just to confuse matters. Our printer vendor (Konica Minolta) allows you to dump PDFs to the printer with their own tools, but I can't see if this tech is supported. I know asking will be an exercise is futility.

I have some IPP discovery tools which show what is returned, but of course I don't know quite what I am looking for. I will do some digging.

If anyone knows a way to check which method iPrint is using, let me know !

Cheers
Ian
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On 09-11-18 01:56, iblackwood wrote:
>
> That's good.
>
> It seems that each printer vendor uses their own marketing term for it
> just to confuse matters. Our printer vendor (Konica Minolta) allows you
> to dump PDFs to the printer with their own tools, but I can't see if
> this tech is supported. I know asking will be an exercise is futility.
>
> I have some IPP discovery tools which show what is returned, but of
> course I don't know quite what I am looking for. I will do some
> digging.
>
> If anyone knows a way to check which method iPrint is using, let me know
> !
>
> Cheers
> Ian
>
>


ipp is standard protocol defined by its own rfc so all printers
supporting ipp, they work in the same way. So iprint is just following
the ipp rfc. The PDF-direct capabilities will be in the reply to a
get-printer-attributes query
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.