Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

PPD Filter Error on Macs

Hi there, wondering if I can get some more insight on this issue. I have done a lot of research but still can't get anywhere. I am a Mac Administrator at a college that uses iPrint to host our printers. Some particular printers will bounce back an error citing that "the filter(s) specified in the PPD could not be found/resolved." Through my research I have found that you can comment out any lines that specify a filter in the PPD file. I have done this already (added a "*%" before each of the lines) and I still received the same message after uploading the driver. I have even tried removing the line entirely. I still get the message about the PPD even though I have run a search and found no lines referencing a filter or a path to one. The printer I am having trouble with is a Konica-Minolta C652. If there is any info anyone has for me it would be much appreciated.
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Not applicable

Re: PPD Filter Error on Macs

jsenders;2267878 wrote:
Hi there, wondering if I can get some more insight on this issue. I have done a lot of research but still can't get anywhere. I am a Mac Administrator at a college that uses iPrint to host our printers. Some particular printers will bounce back an error citing that "the filter(s) specified in the PPD could not be found/resolved." Through my research I have found that you can comment out any lines that specify a filter in the PPD file. I have done this already (added a "*%" before each of the lines) and I still received the same message after uploading the driver. I have even tried removing the line entirely. I still get the message about the PPD even though I have run a search and found no lines referencing a filter or a path to one. The printer I am having trouble with is a Konica-Minolta C652. If there is any info anyone has for me it would be much appreciated.

Best to try to find a driver that has no filters! Postscript only!

Failing that others have worked around it by preloading drivers onto the mac, which for me defeats the object of using iPrint for driver delivery, though I understand it could be useful if you had a mac image for deployment.

Regards
IanB
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Totally agree with that as a possibility and even a good idea to preload drivers. The problem is that I don't have to ability to image or manage student computers. We have a handful of printers that students need to add. It is just a terrible system to require students to go find and download Konica-Minolta drivers before adding the printer. Like you say, it defeats the purpose. As far as using postscript only, doesn't that usually limit the functionality of the printer in the end? Sorry I am not super knowledgeable about printers. I have always thought that using a generic postscript driver is not a real solution.

I guess I am just wondering if I am doing something wrong. There is only one line in the C652 driver that appear to refer to the filter. Doing a find of "filter" and "cupsfilter" brings up this single line right at the beginning:

*cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 /Library/Printers/KONICAMINOLTA/C652/Filters/psToKMC652PS"

I have went in and changed it to this:

*%cupsFilter: "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0 /Library/Printers/KONICAMINOLTA/C652/Filters/psToKMC652PS"

I have also entirely deleted the line. No matter what, I still get the filter error. I made sure to delete the old driver out of the store and reupload the new driver, as well as change the printer driver to "none" and change it back to the new driver in the "manage printer" menu. Still no dice.

Any other ideas?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Not applicable

Not sure I can answer the question about what postscript drivers with other filters will give you above and beyond normal postscript.... my experience is just try to work around problems to get the working.

There are some ubuntu ppd drivers on this page here (just scroll down):

Support & Drivers Search Results | Product: bizhub C652

Version 10000.0001
2/23/2009
2/23/2009277 KBC652 C552 Linux Driver v10000.0001.zipMD5
Release Notes: bizhub C552, C652 Linux PS-PPD Version 10000.0001

They might get it working for you, since I suspect they will be filter free other than basic postscript.

Regards
IanB
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.