Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Printer Behavior after Migration

Hello,
I'm migrating/consolidating 2 NetWare NDPS/iPrint servers and 1 OES 11 iPrint server to an iPrint appliance. So far, the migration is working great, slow, but seems ok. All the printers agents and drivers are coming right on over, which is great.

So I changed the DNS entries for the old servers to point at the new iPrint server. The clients pick this up no problem, but they are forced to re-install each printer. Is this working as designed? Is it expected that every printer has to be re-installed after a migration?

A side question.. any recommendations for the maximum number of printer agents to assign to one iPrint appliance?

Thanks.

Matt
0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Printer Behavior after Migration

matt;2333426 wrote:
Hello,
I'm migrating/consolidating 2 NetWare NDPS/iPrint servers and 1 OES 11 iPrint server to an iPrint appliance. So far, the migration is working great, slow, but seems ok. All the printers agents and drivers are coming right on over, which is great.

So I changed the DNS entries for the old servers to point at the new iPrint server. The clients pick this up no problem, but they are forced to re-install each printer. Is this working as designed? Is it expected that every printer has to be re-installed after a migration?

A side question.. any recommendations for the maximum number of printer agents to assign to one iPrint appliance?

Thanks.

Matt

Yes they will need to get reinstalled either manually or through printer redirect: https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/iprint_lx/data/akexxjc.html#b6kizcp

Thomas
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

matt;2333426 wrote:
Hello,

Thanks.

Matt

Yes they will need to get reinstalled either manually or through printer redirect: https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/iprint_lx/data/akexxjc.html#b6kizcp

Thomas
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

thsundel;2333494 wrote:

Thomas

Hmm, I'm getting conflicting answers on this now. Some are saying no, it shouldn't be prompting to re-install, including some within Novell. Maybe I need to open an SR on this.

Matt
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

matt;2333538 wrote:
Hmm, I'm getting conflicting answers on this now. Some are saying no, it shouldn't be prompting to re-install, including some within Novell. Maybe I need to open an SR on this.

Matt

Is your issue the prompting or that the printers are getting reinstalled? You can configure the "prompting" in iprint.ini "InformUserOfUpdates"...

Also if you have "Auto driver/Profile update set on your printer agents then it will also reinstall if you change the driver or profile...

Thomas
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

matt;2333538 wrote:

Matt

Hmm.. So prior you had 3 print server and now you consolidated to 1.. This means that you probably had 3 different dns names to these print servers? And now you have set up a new dns name for the appliance and then you changed the dns names of the old printerservers to point to the new appliance ip?

As per the docs the iPrint client will detect the dns have changed in ipsmd.conf which will result in reinstallation of the printers...

The iPrint clients detect the name change within the ipsmd.conf file, uninstall the iPrint printer, and re-install the iPrint printer to reflect the new name.

https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/iprint_lx/data/bnn69re.html#bnznd9f

Thomas
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

thsundel;2333738 wrote:
Hmm.. So prior you had 3 print server and now you consolidated to 1.. This means that you probably had 3 different dns names to these print servers? And now you have set up a new dns name for the appliance and then you changed the dns names of the old printerservers to point to the new appliance ip?

As per the docs the iPrint client will detect the dns have changed in ipsmd.conf which will result in reinstallation of the printers...

https://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/iprint_lx/data/bnn69re.html#bnznd9f

Thomas

Ok, so this is working as designed than. So if I had done say a 1-to-1 migration and kept the EXACT same DNS name on the new iPrint appliance, then the users would not have had to reinstall printers, correct? But since I wanted to consolidate, I really had no choice, some users were going to re-install, correct?

Thanks.

Matt
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

matt;2333760 wrote:
Ok, so this is working as designed than. So if I had done say a 1-to-1 migration and kept the EXACT same DNS name on the new iPrint appliance, then the users would not have had to reinstall printers, correct? But since I wanted to consolidate, I really had no choice, some users were going to re-install, correct?

Thanks.

Matt

Exactly, that is how I understand it as well.

Thomas
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

thsundel;2333761 wrote:
Exactly, that is how I understand it as well.

Thomas

The only other issue I think we may have is that the users don't all have rights to install printers, so that may be a problem.

Thanks.

Matt
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

matt;2333766 wrote:
The only other issue I think we may have is that the users don't all have rights to install printers, so that may be a problem.

Thanks.

Matt

You can change that in iprint.ini "AllowUserPrinters" to 3 during the migration...

Thomas
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.