Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Printer authentication failed -- with alias

Hi!
OES 11 SP1 on SLES 11 SP2. Is there a way to authenticate for iPrint using user object alias?
I'd add - as requested - "AuthLDAPDNDereferenceAliases never" into iprint_ssl.cong, also checked in LDAP server object "Dereference aliases when resolving names for authentication", restarted Apache, refreshed LDAP, but ... still nothing. Should it be possible to make happen?
More thanks, Alar.
0 Likes
11 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Printer authentication failed -- with alias

Never really tried but does the iPrint server hold a replica of the alias and user objects?

-- eDirectory Rules! Peter www.DreamLAN.com
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi and thanks!
All on this only one server. Adding "AuthLDAPDNDereferenceAliases never" into conf-file allowed authentication with user object when alias for this user object is present. Maybe it should be so and it is not possible to auth via alias!
More thanks, Alar.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It shouldn't, in theory, matter if the alias is used or not - but not knowing what the code tries to do, who knows as they say.

Do you have the Alias objects and the User objects in the same or separate container? And are these containers partitioned by any chance?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi again and thanks!
Well, iPrint initially does not like alias is present, but ... not sure, though ... with this conf settings it does tolerate these. When I try with alias I see in error log "[User not found][No such object]". Alias is located in same container, very plain conf. Should I move it out to another ou ?
More thanks, Alar.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

It shouldn't matter where these Alias objects reside - as you can imagine that's why we have them 😉

I just thought of something: you have "AuthLDAPDNDereferenceAliases never" can you try changing the line to 'AuthLDAPDereferenceAliases Off" instead?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Also, did your iprint_ssl.cong already exist or did you create it yourself? The filename I think should be iprint_ssl.conf instead or was it just a typo on your initial posting?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi and thanks!
Got word from support -- "The iPrint module does not support authentication by aliases (it's just that Secure iPrint needed additional configuration) so indeed it is not possible.".
Alar.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Typo! 😃
Alar.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

That's a bummer. Thanks for the update!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi!
Yeah. Tried on other day also with iFolder -- does not like aliases either.
Alar.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

> Tried on other day also with iFolder -- does not like aliases either.

Ouch. Double-bummer!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.