Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
3070 views

Printer creation fails after sp8

NW65SP8 with post-sp8 patches including iprntnw65sp8a, running
clutered iPrint. eDir is 8.8.4 with edir884_ftf1_nw applied. All
servers in the tree are running DS.NLM 20217.07. Time is in sych and
dsrepair reports all servers in synch and no unprocessed obits on any
servers. iManager is 2.7.2 via IE7

rmansrvr=3.0.7 March 10, 2009
ndpsgw = 4.01 March 10, 2009
ndpsm = 3.03 March 10, 2009
ippsrvr = 4.02 March 10, 2009

When I try to create a new printer I enter the name, specify the OU,
and the print manager. When I proceed, I get a message "a system
error has occurred." The printer shows up in the print manager (not
bound, obviously--since it has no address information) and I can see
it in ConsoleOne but it is unconfigured and unreachable. If I delete
the printer in the print manager I get no errors or warning message
like the normal (this will also be deleted in edirectory) and the
printer object is still showing in directory services. I *can* delete
it via ConsoleOne and it eventually disappears in dsbrowse. So far, I
am unable to create any new printers since sp8 and patches. I *am*
able to manage my existing printers and am receiving no errors in
doing that.

Has anyone else experienced this? any suggestions?

Thanks,

DeVern
0 Likes
22 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

In article <4ppd15p86fe9j1426kqvgmbmiet0ud8vrp@4ax.com>, DeVern Gerber
wrote:
> o far, I
> am unable to create any new printers since sp8 and patches. I *am*
> able to manage my existing printers and am receiving no errors in
> doing that.
>

I just had one of my clients mention what sounds like the same issue.
In his case, he only had a problem when using the Create Printer link
in iManager. When he did that, some java error showed up on the logger
screen at the same time, and it looks like the whole sequence of events
did not complete, though edir objects were created and printer showed
up in NDPSM.

What he found was that by going into Manage Print Manager, he could
successfully create new printers there, so give that a try for now.
I'm guessing there is an iManager bug here since SP8, because the
latest change that caused my client to have iPrint issues was SP8.


Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
*** For a current patch list, tips, handy files and books on
BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***



0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On Fri, 22 May 2009 18:26:33 GMT, Craig Johnson
<craigsj@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>>

>I just had one of my clients mention what sounds like the same issue.
>In his case, he only had a problem when using the Create Printer link
>in iManager. When he did that, some java error showed up on the logger
>screen at the same time, and it looks like the whole sequence of events
>did not complete, though edir objects were created and printer showed
>up in NDPSM.
>
>What he found was that by going into Manage Print Manager, he could
>successfully create new printers there, so give that a try for now.
>I'm guessing there is an iManager bug here since SP8, because the
>latest change that caused my client to have iPrint issues was SP8.
>


I think you are right! I was able to create the printer from within
Manage Print Manager, no issues whatsoever. Sounds like a bug report
is in order.....

Thanks very much for your help!

DeVern
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes

TID 7002524
http://www.novell.com/support/php/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=7002524&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_TID_1_1&dialogID=57113129&stateId=0%200%2057111591

Easy workaround seems to me is to add printers by choosing to manage the
print manager Select the "Printer Agents" tab and then "Tasks".
Click on "Create" and fill in the info for the desired printer agent.

Warren

DeVern Gerber wrote:
> NW65SP8 with post-sp8 patches including iprntnw65sp8a, running
> clutered iPrint. eDir is 8.8.4 with edir884_ftf1_nw applied. All
> servers in the tree are running DS.NLM 20217.07. Time is in sych and
> dsrepair reports all servers in synch and no unprocessed obits on any
> servers. iManager is 2.7.2 via IE7
>
> rmansrvr=3.0.7 March 10, 2009
> ndpsgw = 4.01 March 10, 2009
> ndpsm = 3.03 March 10, 2009
> ippsrvr = 4.02 March 10, 2009
>
> When I try to create a new printer I enter the name, specify the OU,
> and the print manager. When I proceed, I get a message "a system
> error has occurred." The printer shows up in the print manager (not
> bound, obviously--since it has no address information) and I can see
> it in ConsoleOne but it is unconfigured and unreachable. If I delete
> the printer in the print manager I get no errors or warning message
> like the normal (this will also be deleted in edirectory) and the
> printer object is still showing in directory services. I *can* delete
> it via ConsoleOne and it eventually disappears in dsbrowse. So far, I
> am unable to create any new printers since sp8 and patches. I *am*
> able to manage my existing printers and am receiving no errors in
> doing that.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this? any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
>
> DeVern

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

In article <n40e15ltp3r4lacsvv8votkkf8ufqub18e@4ax.com>, DeVern Gerber
wrote:
> I think you are right! I was able to create the printer from within
> Manage Print Manager, no issues whatsoever. Sounds like a bug report
> is in order.....
>

Glad to help.

Looks like there is a tid on this. I'm surprised it says Novell can't
duplicate the problem.


Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
*** For a current patch list, tips, handy files and books on
BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***



0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Well, Novell asks specifically for people for help from customers who
experiance the problem. So as long as everyone is only usign the
workarounds and not opening an SR on it, the problem will probably never
get fixed.

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcel Cox's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Oh don't worry, on Tuesday Novell will be receiving from me the report
requested in the TID. But, it *is* a holiday weekend here... <g>

DeVern

On Sun, 24 May 2009 08:55:51 GMT, "Marcel Cox"
<Marcel_Cox@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:

>Well, Novell asks specifically for people for help from customers who
>experiance the problem. So as long as everyone is only usign the
>workarounds and not opening an SR on it, the problem will probably never
>get fixed.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Marcel Cox wrote:
> Well, Novell asks specifically for people for help from customers who
> experiance the problem. So as long as everyone is only usign the
> workarounds and not opening an SR on it, the problem will probably never
> get fixed.
>

I sent mine a week ago

Warren
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

>On Sun, 24 May 2009 08:55:51 GMT, "Marcel Cox"
><Marcel_Cox@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote:
>
>>Well, Novell asks specifically for people for help from customers who
>>experiance the problem. So as long as everyone is only usign the
>>workarounds and not opening an SR on it, the problem will probably never
>>get fixed.



By all means one should follow the steps in the TID and submit the
report. I was contacted today with a proposed fix, a new .npm package
for iManager. It appears to have resolved the issue.... I can once
again create and manage printers in the normal fashion.

Best,

DeVern
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

In article <v4oo15p1ifimabkuq221tl04e49etmfl98@4ax.com>, DeVern Gerber
wrote:
> By all means one should follow the steps in the TID and submit the
> report. I was contacted today with a proposed fix, a new .npm package
> for iManager. It appears to have resolved the issue.... I can once
> again create and manage printers in the normal fashion.
>

Beta? Pre-beta?

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
*** For a current patch list, tips, handy files and books on
BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***



0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On Wed, 27 May 2009 06:25:52 GMT, Craig Johnson
<craigsj@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Beta? Pre-beta?
>


Something like that, I'd guess. It was described as a "possible
solution to the problem". That's why I'd suggest anyone having the
problem go through the steps in the TID and submit a log file to
Novell. My guess is they'll get a response as I did, with a file to
try and report back upon. There may be more than one potential aspect
or fix to this issue, and the more info Novell gets the better the
odds are that any and all fixes will be included in whatever gets to
public release as a patch. IOW, what fixed my setup may not fix
someone else's--

Best,

DeVern
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

In article <p8nq15t98dac7a9nsl024gedsath4p3en8@4ax.com>, DeVern Gerber
wrote:
> Something like that, I'd guess. It was described as a "possible
> solution to the problem". That's why I'd suggest anyone having the
> problem go through the steps in the TID and submit a log file to
> Novell. My guess is they'll get a response as I did, with a file to
> try and report back upon. There may be more than one potential aspect
> or fix to this issue, and the more info Novell gets the better the
> odds are that any and all fixes will be included in whatever gets to
> public release as a patch. IOW, what fixed my setup may not fix
> someone else's--
>

I'd suspect they have found the issue, and that it is purely an iManager
issue. Probably will show up to everyone else as an available iprint
plugin update. (Let's hope soon.)


Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
*** For a current patch list, tips, handy files and books on
BorderManager, go to http://www.craigjconsulting.com ***



0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.