UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Printer pooling...

I'd like to pool two printers that have parallel connections to a 3-port HP 500x JetDirect server. I can print to each of the individual printers by specifying the PRINTERNAME=raw1 or raw2 in the gateway load string of two printer agents.
However, iPrint doesn't see any change to the state of the printer agent when the printer is turned off. I guess because the LPD queue on the JetDirect is still available.
Is there a means of accomplishing printer pooling (with fault tolerance) in this scenario?

Thanks in advance,

Matt
0 Likes
1 Reply
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The problem is that the gateway cannot distingish between the 2 ports of the pritn server when checking the status. It actually just checks the status of the print server and that one continues working even with a printer turned off. As such, printer pooling should work best with pritners that have built-in network cards, or alternately with just one printr being a attached to a print server.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.