Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Printers Assigned to eDir Users not Auto-Installing

Our iPrint appliance is all patched. We migrated from an OES 11 SP2 iPrint installation. When a printer is assigned to an eDir user from the appliance, it is not installed when the user logs on to the workstation. We also did some printer agent redirection and manually installed the new iPrint client on a few trouble workstations. Any ideas?

Thanks.
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Re: Printers Assigned to eDir Users not Auto-Installing

Do the workstations in question have the Novell Client installed? If yes, iCM settings on the Appliance may be ignored if the users are authenticating to an eDirectory tree that previously had iCM configured. If there is no Novell Client installed on the workstation, then in order to point the workstation to the Appliance, you need to open a command prompt on the PC and set the primary PSM address by typing "iprntcmd -S <YouriPrintAppliance IP Address>" no brackets or quotes. The other reason I have seen this not work is if the appropriate iCM rights have not been set. Take a look at the doc, https://www.novell.com/documentation/iprint-appliance1/iprint_appliance/data/b15xnpmx.html#b6ki53j and scroll down to the section "Apply iCM Settings from iPrint Appliance eDirectory". This where it talks about assigning rights. Hopefully this helps.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

bobjohnson;2399059 wrote:
Do the workstations in question have the Novell Client installed? If yes, iCM settings on the Appliance may be ignored if the users are authenticating to an eDirectory tree that previously had iCM configured. If there is no Novell Client installed on the workstation, then in order to point the workstation to the Appliance, you need to open a command prompt on the PC and set the primary PSM address by typing "iprntcmd -S <YouriPrintAppliance IP Address>" no brackets or quotes. The other reason I have seen this not work is if the appropriate iCM rights have not been set. Take a look at the doc, https://www.novell.com/documentation/iprint-appliance1/iprint_appliance/data/b15xnpmx.html#b6ki53j and scroll down to the section "Apply iCM Settings from iPrint Appliance eDirectory". This where it talks about assigning rights. Hopefully this helps.

Our workstations have the Novell Client for Win 7, recent couple of revs. I just set the attributes per the linked documentation, but a test workstation still did not auto install a printer after restarting and logging in. Yes, the printer has drivers assigned for the OS we are testing on. I don't think we migrated the old iPrint server's ID with the migration tool; we're still using is as a tree replica.

Other ideas?

Thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

The issue is that iCM settings on the Appliance will be ignored if the Novell Client is installed and users authenticate to your tree that also may have had iCM configured. At login to the tree the client looks for any evidence of iCM in the tree and if it finds it, it stops the process of looking for additional attributes. As a test you might try logging in workstation only without authenticating to the tree to see if it will detect the iCM settings on the appliance.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

bobjohnson;2399189 wrote:
The issue is that iCM settings on the Appliance will be ignored if the Novell Client is installed and users authenticate to your tree that also may have had iCM configured. At login to the tree the client looks for any evidence of iCM in the tree and if it finds it, it stops the process of looking for additional attributes. As a test you might try logging in workstation only without authenticating to the tree to see if it will detect the iCM settings on the appliance.

"Workstation Only" didn't pick up the appliance and install the printer. If I down the OES iPrint server, will the Novell client still see iCM settings in the tree?

Can I take a snapshot of the OES iPrint server and remove iPrint, then if necessary revert back to the snapshot? Will going back to the snapshot wreck the tree? Would I need to take snapshots of both the OES iPrint server and the primary eDir OES server?

Thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

I wouldn't down the iPrint server. The attributes are in the tree so they will be found. I have tried figuring out a way to kill the rights to these attributes but there is something in the way the iCM attributes are defined in the schema that kept me from figuring it out. I am not an eDir expert and maybe there is a way to do it, but not that I could see. The real test to see if the Appliance and iCM are configured correctly would be to test with a PC that has no Novell Client installed. Make sure the rights to the attributes are set as documented and make sure you set the Primary Print Manager address on the PC by running the "iprntcmd -S <Your Appliance address>" from the command prompt.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.