UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Slow printer access

I know this has been discussed before, and I have tried everything I have found as far as fixing it.

Windows 2000 workstations, office 2000, NDPS printers on the workstations, client 4.91SP2. Netware 6.5 SP4, NDPS Mgr 3.01t, broker 3.0.11

Anything that accesses the printer, i.e going to envelopes and labels in Word, looking at the properties of the printer anywhere, produces a long delay before responding with the appropriate "box". Then it is OK for a minute or so of idle time before it happens again. Looking at a packet trace, I see long delays processing a DNS query for the tree name??? I added an entry for the tree pointing to one of our servers, in the hosts file of the DDNS server. It helped some, but many still experience the slowness. Is there anything else I can do??

Jim
0 Likes
2 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Cancel post. Putting the tree name in did in fact solve that problem. Thanks!

Jim

>>> jkerns@spencer.k12.ia.us<jkerns@spencer> 9/5/2006 11:27 AM >>>

I know this has been discussed before, and I have tried everything I have found as far as fixing it.

Windows 2000 workstations, office 2000, NDPS printers on the workstations, client 4.91SP2. Netware 6.5 SP4, NDPS Mgr 3.01t, broker 3.0.11

Anything that accesses the printer, i.e going to envelopes and labels in Word, looking at the properties of the printer anywhere, produces a long delay before responding with the appropriate "box". Then it is OK for a minute or so of idle time before it happens again. Looking at a packet trace, I see long delays processing a DNS query for the tree name??? I added an entry for the tree pointing to one of our servers, in the hosts file of the DDNS server. It helped some, but many still experience the slowness. Is there anything else I can do??

Jim
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jim,

I noticed you said that you added a DNS entry for your Tree name using one
of your servers. Did you just point it to anyserver in your tree or the
master replica holder? I am having a slow dialogue box issues and was
wondering if you could clarify if any server would do or does it need to
be a replica holding server?

Andy

> Cancel post. Putting the tree name in did in fact solve that problem. =
> Thanks!
>
> Jim
>
> >>> jkerns@spencer.k12.ia.us<jkerns@spencer> 9/5/2006 11:27 AM >>>

>
> I know this has been discussed before, and I have tried everything I

have =
> found as far as fixing it.
>
> Windows 2000 workstations, office 2000, NDPS printers on the

workstations, =
> client 4.91SP2. Netware 6.5 SP4, NDPS Mgr 3.01t, broker 3.0.11
>
> Anything that accesses the printer, i.e going to envelopes and labels in

=
> Word, looking at the properties of the printer anywhere, produces a long

=
> delay before responding with the appropriate "box". Then it is OK for a

=
> minute or so of idle time before it happens again. Looking at a packet =
> trace, I see long delays processing a DNS query for the tree name??? I =
> added an entry for the tree pointing to one of our servers, in the hosts

=
> file of the DDNS server. It helped some, but many still experience the =
> slowness. Is there anything else I can do?? =20
>
> Jim
>

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.