NOTICE: Significant community changes coming soon
The header menu and the home page on our community will be changing soon. Get more information HERE.
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
2151 views

Slow printing - larger print jobs when via iPrint

iPrint appliance 3.1
Windows 7 x64 client with v6.09 client
Konica Minolta C658 printer with Postscript 3 driver (10.1.1.0 or 9.16.1.0 tried)


If I print direct from Adobe Acrobat reader on the computer to printer with standard TCPIP port my 6.6MB PDF file renders out to a 200MB print job as shown in the Windows print monitor, and starts printing while spooling.

If I print via iPrint appliance the same PDF renders out to 8.17GB and must completely spool to the iPrint appliance before it starts spooling it to the printer.

I have tried enabling bidirectional in the Printer profile but this had no effect.

The store and forward behaviour I can live with (I expected that) if I can figure out why there is such a difference in rendered print job size between the two - I would have thought the raw output would be exactly the same direct and via iPrint.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what is happening here ?

We have replaced printer and upgraded (replaced) from iPrint v1.1 to V3.1 and now we get reports printing is slower !

Cheers
Ian
0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Update to above - the iprint window on the client shows the job as being around the 200MB size still when printing via Iprint, even though the Print spooler window on the same workstation is saying 8.17GB.

So I guess I should ask - is v3.1 just slower than v1.1 of the appliance running on the same VMware physical hardware ?

Will TID 7018252 make any difference if this is a single user printing at once ?

Cheers
Ian
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On 19-03-18 07:44, iblackwood wrote:
>
> Update to above - the iprint window on the client shows the job as being
> around the 200MB size still when printing via Iprint, even though the
> Print spooler window on the same workstation is saying 8.17GB.
>
> So I guess I should ask - is v3.1 just slower than v1.1 of the appliance
> running on the same VMware physical hardware ?
>
> Will TID 7018252 make any difference if this is a single user printing
> at once ?
>
> Cheers
> Ian
>
>

1. The size of the print job when it has been rendered and it is ready
to be sent for printing is always much larger that the "normal" size

2. The print job rendering, and its size, is done by the driver itself.
iPrint is not involved in the process.

3. You're running appliance 3.1.1 then iprint client 9.12 should be
available on the appliance to update. it contains some improvement
regarding your current 6.09

4. The real improvement to this issue will come with the next appliance
patch. Apache/ipp_mod module buffer has been increased to improve speed
with large print jobs. This fix has been already released for OES and it
will be on next appliance patch. I do not have a current date but it
should be soon, within a month.


0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On 19-03-18 10:26, Mysterious wrote:

>> iprint client 9.12 should be


ops, 6.12
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Don't worry, I'm from Australia. Down under. 🙂

I tested with 6.12 as well. I applied the TID changes as an interim measure - they seemed to make submitting the job quicker (disappears from workstation faster) but printing overall didn't improve in speed.

I look forward to the Apache module patch.

So v1.1 would be faster on large jobs against the current build of v3.1 ?

Cheers
Ian
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On 20-03-18 01:04, iblackwood wrote:
>
> Don't worry, I'm from Australia. Down under. 🙂
>
> I tested with 6.12 as well. I applied the TID changes as an interim
> measure - they seemed to make submitting the job quicker (disappears
> from workstation faster) but printing overall didn't improve in speed.
>
> I look forward to the Apache module patch.
>
> So v1.1 would be faster on large jobs against the current build of v3.1
> ?
>
> Cheers
> Ian
>
>


The tid is to improve apache threads and it will help with multiples
clients accessing it simultaneously but the issue with large print job
is the data sent to apache in the same connection from the same
client.This has been fixed increasing the apache/mod_ipp module receive
buffer.

The buffer is the same in 1.1 so it should not be faster.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The natives are getting restless. Must be because they have so much spare time waiting for their printing. 😉

Is there an updated ETA on the next appliance patch ? Doesn't seem to have been anything in the update channel or on the patch website.

Cheers
Ian
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On 26-04-18 01:54, iblackwood wrote:
>
> The natives are getting restless. Must be because they have so much
> spare time waiting for their printing. 😉
>
> Is there an updated ETA on the next appliance patch ? Doesn't seem to
> have been anything in the update channel or on the patch website.
>
> Cheers
> Ian
>
>


Approx time is within 2 weeks
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On 26-04-18 01:54, iblackwood wrote:
>
> The natives are getting restless. Must be because they have so much
> spare time waiting for their printing. 😉
>
> Is there an updated ETA on the next appliance patch ? Doesn't seem to
> have been anything in the update channel or on the patch website.
>
> Cheers
> Ian
>
>



iPrint Appliance 3.1 Patch 2 has been released thru the channel and it
contains the mentioned fix:

Bux fixes:

- 1058178: iPrint is slow to transfer print job data

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.