Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
2216 views

Slow printing with user rights

Hi

I have a problem with iprint. I work with the newest iprint client 4.26 and
on the server with Netware 6.5 SP5. All users has windows standard user
rights and the setting of iprint.ini is "AllowUserPrinters = 1".

The printing works by user with user rights very slow, when i click the
printing button it continues several seconds to print. During this time is
the computer blocked. When i start the computer as administrator it works
fine. Also it works fine when i set the iprint.ini to "AllowUserPrinters =
0", but then the user with user rights cannot install printers.

Is there anybody with the same problem?

Thanks for your help

Philipp
0 Likes
7 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Are these XP workstations and do you have the Microsoft Hotfix KB893225
installed?
> Hi
>
> I have a problem with iprint. I work with the newest iprint client 4.26

and
> on the server with Netware 6.5 SP5. All users has windows standard user
> rights and the setting of iprint.ini is "AllowUserPrinters = 1".
>
> The printing works by user with user rights very slow, when i click the
> printing button it continues several seconds to print. During this time

is
> the computer blocked. When i start the computer as administrator it works
> fine. Also it works fine when i set the iprint.ini to "AllowUserPrinters

=
> 0", but then the user with user rights cannot install printers.
>
> Is there anybody with the same problem?
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Philipp


0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, we have XP workstastions (SP2), and the Microsoft Hotfix KB893225 is
installed on every client. This Hotfix brought decided improvement but it's
not the complete solution.

> Are these XP workstations and do you have the Microsoft Hotfix KB893225
> installed?
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a problem with iprint. I work with the newest iprint client 4.26

> and
> > on the server with Netware 6.5 SP5. All users has windows standard user
> > rights and the setting of iprint.ini is "AllowUserPrinters = 1".
> >
> > The printing works by user with user rights very slow, when i click the
> > printing button it continues several seconds to print. During this time

> is
> > the computer blocked. When i start the computer as administrator it works
> > fine. Also it works fine when i set the iprint.ini to "AllowUserPrinters

> =
> > 0", but then the user with user rights cannot install printers.
> >
> > Is there anybody with the same problem?
> >
> > Thanks for your help
> >
> > Philipp

>


0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Are you keeping your printer names and ports to less than 31 characters?
This has a big effect as well. Are you using ShortInstallName?
> Yes, we have XP workstastions (SP2), and the Microsoft Hotfix KB893225 is
> installed on every client. This Hotfix brought decided improvement but

it's
> not the complete solution.
>
> > Are these XP workstations and do you have the Microsoft Hotfix

KB893225
> > installed?
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I have a problem with iprint. I work with the newest iprint client

4.26
> > and
> > > on the server with Netware 6.5 SP5. All users has windows standard

user
> > > rights and the setting of iprint.ini is "AllowUserPrinters = 1".
> > >
> > > The printing works by user with user rights very slow, when i click

the
> > > printing button it continues several seconds to print. During this

time
> > is
> > > the computer blocked. When i start the computer as administrator it

works
> > > fine. Also it works fine when i set the iprint.ini

to "AllowUserPrinters
> > =
> > > 0", but then the user with user rights cannot install printers.
> > >
> > > Is there anybody with the same problem?
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help
> > >
> > > Philipp

> >

>


0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Can I have you clarify what the 31 characters is comprised of? Do you mean
the entire URL or just the printer name? In other words, all my printers
will be over 31 characters if the full URL is taken into account because
just the part after the printer name is more than that.
ie: (Printername) on ipp://printing.ourlongcompany.com
So that just the part after the printername is already more than 31
characters. Thanks for clarifying this for me.
Darcy

<iprint@novell.com> wrote in message
news:hnKAh.2$rL6.1@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> Are you keeping your printer names and ports to less than 31 characters?
> This has a big effect as well. Are you using ShortInstallName?
>> Yes, we have XP workstastions (SP2), and the Microsoft Hotfix KB893225 is
>> installed on every client. This Hotfix brought decided improvement but

> it's
>> not the complete solution.
>>
>> > Are these XP workstations and do you have the Microsoft Hotfix

> KB893225
>> > installed?
>> > > Hi
>> > >
>> > > I have a problem with iprint. I work with the newest iprint client

> 4.26
>> > and
>> > > on the server with Netware 6.5 SP5. All users has windows standard

> user
>> > > rights and the setting of iprint.ini is "AllowUserPrinters = 1".
>> > >
>> > > The printing works by user with user rights very slow, when i click

> the
>> > > printing button it continues several seconds to print. During this

> time
>> > is
>> > > the computer blocked. When i start the computer as administrator it

> works
>> > > fine. Also it works fine when i set the iprint.ini

> to "AllowUserPrinters
>> > =
>> > > 0", but then the user with user rights cannot install printers.
>> > >
>> > > Is there anybody with the same problem?
>> > >
>> > > Thanks for your help
>> > >
>> > > Philipp
>> >

>>

>



0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, the printer names have no more than 31 characters (only printer name,
the complete name with link has more than 31 characters). I do'nt use
ShortInstallName, the setting of iprint.ini is default.



> Are you keeping your printer names and ports to less than 31 characters?
> This has a big effect as well. Are you using ShortInstallName?
> > Yes, we have XP workstastions (SP2), and the Microsoft Hotfix KB893225 is
> > installed on every client. This Hotfix brought decided improvement but

> it's
> > not the complete solution.
> >
> > > Are these XP workstations and do you have the Microsoft Hotfix

> KB893225
> > > installed?
> > > > Hi
> > > >
> > > > I have a problem with iprint. I work with the newest iprint client

> 4.26
> > > and
> > > > on the server with Netware 6.5 SP5. All users has windows standard

> user
> > > > rights and the setting of iprint.ini is "AllowUserPrinters = 1".
> > > >
> > > > The printing works by user with user rights very slow, when i click

> the
> > > > printing button it continues several seconds to print. During this

> time
> > > is
> > > > the computer blocked. When i start the computer as administrator it

> works
> > > > fine. Also it works fine when i set the iprint.ini

> to "AllowUserPrinters
> > > =
> > > > 0", but then the user with user rights cannot install printers.
> > > >
> > > > Is there anybody with the same problem?
> > > >
> > > > Thanks for your help
> > > >
> > > > Philipp
> > >

> >

>


0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

See:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=893225
"...the URL of the printer has more than 31 characters."

Regards
Rolf Lidvall
Swedish Radio (Ltd)


0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Can someone just confirm that the 31 characters includes the whole URL or
just the printer name?

"Rolf Lidvall" <rolf.lidvall@sr.se> wrote in message
news:1LjBh.1132$rL6.345@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> See:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=893225
> "...the URL of the printer has more than 31 characters."
>
> Regards
> Rolf Lidvall
> Swedish Radio (Ltd)
>
>



0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.