Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

SuSE9/OES1 iPrint cluster upgrade to SuSE10/OES2

Hello everybody

I have a two node OES1 iPrint cluster that I am going to upgrade to SuSE10/OES2sp1.

My question is about the procedure outlined in TID 3396566 - "Migrating iPrint Cluster from OES1 to OES2". Has anyone tried this method? How did it go?

My plan is to add a OES2sp1 node to my existing cluster and then follow the procedure outlined in the TID; after that, if all is OK, then upgrade my two OES1 nodes to OES2sp1 and hopefully be done with it. It all sounds simple enough...

Thanks for any input!
w
--
Wayne Fee
IT Enterprise Systems
Appalachian State University
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jwf,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://support.novell.com/forums/

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

so I did the upgrade following the procedure in TID 3396566 and in general it worked out good. But a short TID never tells the whole story. There are a couple of other things to be aware of. One is the client versions that are installed with iPrint OES2 - they were later than the versions I had on the old OES server and I didn't want to have all my users in the field get upgrades when they authenticated. So I had to copy my old client versions to the proper spots on OES2 - there is a now a "clients" directory under "htdocs" so be sure to get them in the right directories under there. I'll upgrade clients later in a more controlled fashion. The second thing was that when you install the new OES2 box with iPrint to copy the files, the owner and group for files and directories is set to "root". I was not sure if that would be an issue when I copied the files to the cluster resource but I left the group and owner as "root" just to see. Oddly today I notice that the group of "iprint" has been set on all the files and folders that were previously copied. Anyway it didn't seem to make any difference and all was OK. The last thing was that I had let the OES2 boxes update patches through the channel and the iPrint server code was the April 22 version which shortly there after proceeded to segfault wildly for a few days - even after updating to the June 13 debug code. I stumbled across what was causing this and corrected it and now the server has been running solidly without segfaults for almost two weeks and 17000 print jobs. I will post that experience in another thread.

I hope this info will help someone if they have to do a similar thing. This is a high profile service for us so I was really worried.
w
--
Wayne Fee
IT Enterprise Systems

Jwf;1703809 wrote:
Hello everybody

I have a two node OES1 iPrint cluster that I am going to upgrade to SuSE10/OES2sp1.

My question is about the procedure outlined in TID 3396566 - "Migrating iPrint Cluster from OES1 to OES2". Has anyone tried this method? How did it go?

My plan is to add a OES2sp1 node to my existing cluster and then follow the procedure outlined in the TID; after that, if all is OK, then upgrade my two OES1 nodes to OES2sp1 and hopefully be done with it. It all sounds simple enough...

Thanks for any input!
w
--
Wayne Fee
IT Enterprise Systems
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jwf;1703809 wrote:
Hello everybody

Thanks for any input!
w
--
Wayne Fee
IT Enterprise Systems

Hi Wayne

I would tread carefully here. We've been testing iprint migrations from oes1 to oes2sp1. It's failing miserably. First, the migration takes 25+ minutes for a single or few printers. If you watch ndstrace you'll see that the process enumerates the entire tree. Twice. In a small tree that's probably ok, but in my tree, it's not. It's ridiculous that the process has to walk the entire tree like that, when you are feeding it the exact fqdns that it needs. (It walks to do the admin login, then it walks twice when the migration is happening. Not to mention when browsing to the managers it is painfully slow while it again climbs through the tree, even when you give it the exact OU where the managers live.)

After the migration finally finished, some of the printers lost their profiles. Others that were iprint-direct lost that designation when they migrated.

We also tried the cli tool. It was broken in oes2. We disassembled the code somewhat and showed Novell right where it was breaking. Guess what. It still breaks in the same place.

We've got 3000+ printers in our environment, and have to have this tool working. As it sits, it's useless. We have an incident opened with Novell, but so far (a couple weeks into it), we are no closer than when we started.

Good luck,
Sam

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.