Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1143 views

Trouble with printerqueues after upgrade

After upgrading to NW6.5SP6 from NW6.0SP5 we seem to have alot more problems
with the printerqueues then before.

Jobs get stuck in the queue and won't print, when I check the printers it
seems OK and status is reported OK, if I check the agent it says "LPR
Communication Failed", we get that one often: LPR Communication Failed....
We have about 130 printer agents and most of them work fine but some we have
to restart several times per day now, and I don't mean just the printer
agent, we have to restart the printer or printerserver to get it to print
from NDPS. Most of our printers are HP running internal or external
JetDirect printservers.

We are running the updated NDPSGW.NLM.

The Gateway health reports error codes like Error: 32 and else but I don't
know what they mean...


0 Likes
7 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Could you please post the gateway load string for your problem printers?
Also, you might try if an older ndpsgw.nlm works better. If you have
access to a NW65SP5 server, try NDPSGW.NLM from such a server.

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

NDPSGW PORT=LPR HOSTADDRESS=xxxxxx PRINTERNAME=RAW
NDPSGW PORT=LPR HOSTADDRESS=xxxxxx PRINTERNAME=AUTO1
NDPSGW PORT=LPR HOSTADDRESS=xxxxxx PRINTERNAME=lp
etc....

I have copied the NDSPGW.NLM from a NW65SP5 server. It's "bigger", 82 kb vs
~30 kb for the SP6 NLM. Just have to wait and see if it helps...




"Marcel Cox" <cimetmc@myrealbox.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:el5qd2$psq$2@linux.cie.etat.lu...
> Could you please post the gateway load string for your problem printers?
> Also, you might try if an older ndpsgw.nlm works better. If you have
> access to a NW65SP5 server, try NDPSGW.NLM from such a server.
>
> --
> Marcel Cox
> http://support.novell.com/forums



0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

John Meriam wrote:

>NDPSGW PORT=LPR HOSTADDRESS=xxxxxx PRINTERNAME=RAW
>NDPSGW PORT=LPR HOSTADDRESS=xxxxxx PRINTERNAME=AUTO1
>NDPSGW PORT=LPR HOSTADDRESS=xxxxxx PRINTERNAME=lp
>etc....


Are these all HP? "RAW" is correct for HP print servers, but "AUTO1" and
"lp" are not.

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

lp are Sharp.
AUTO1, AUTO2 etc. are for HP JetDirect external printservers that have
multiple LPT ports. We have always used them, AUTO1 prints to LPT1 etc...

"Marcel Cox" <cimetmc@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
news:el69bb$s7r$1@linux.cie.etat.lu...
> John Meriam wrote:
>
>>NDPSGW PORT=LPR HOSTADDRESS=xxxxxx PRINTERNAME=RAW
>>NDPSGW PORT=LPR HOSTADDRESS=xxxxxx PRINTERNAME=AUTO1
>>NDPSGW PORT=LPR HOSTADDRESS=xxxxxx PRINTERNAME=lp
>>etc....

>
> Are these all HP? "RAW" is correct for HP print servers, but "AUTO1" and
> "lp" are not.
>
> --
> Marcel Cox
> http://support.novell.com/forums



0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

John Meriam wrote:

>AUTO1, AUTO2 etc. are for HP JetDirect external printservers that have
>multiple LPT ports. We have always used them, AUTO1 prints to LPT1 etc...


I thought the correct names in those cases would be RAW1, RAW2, RAW3 ...

--
Marcel Cox (using XanaNews 1.18.1.6)
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Marcel Cox wrote:
> John Meriam wrote:
>
>> NDPSGW PORT=LPR HOSTADDRESS=xxxxxx PRINTERNAME=RAW
>> NDPSGW PORT=LPR HOSTADDRESS=xxxxxx PRINTERNAME=AUTO1
>> NDPSGW PORT=LPR HOSTADDRESS=xxxxxx PRINTERNAME=lp
>> etc....

>
> Are these all HP? "RAW" is correct for HP print servers


Is it "RAW" or "raw"? At least some Xerox printers required right case,
so I believe HP is also case-sensitive.

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10080373.htm

says "raw" for HP printers.

Timo Pietilä
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Don't know 🙂

I reverted back to the SP5 gateway and the problems have dissapperad....

"Marcel Cox" <cimetmc@myrealbox.com> skrev i meddelandet
news:3WGdh.10447$jS4.2032@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com...
> John Meriam wrote:
>
>>AUTO1, AUTO2 etc. are for HP JetDirect external printservers that have
>>multiple LPT ports. We have always used them, AUTO1 prints to LPT1 etc...

>
> I thought the correct names in those cases would be RAW1, RAW2, RAW3 ...
>
> --
> Marcel Cox (using XanaNews 1.18.1.6)



0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.