Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Upgrading Windows 7 HP printer driver with normal user right

So far we used ZCM to push printer policies to the workstations and that uses the ZCM credentials to install printer drivers (I suppose).
But if I upgrade the printer drivers on the iPrint server (From HP Universal Driver V5.1 to HP Universal Driver V5.7) users are asked for admin credentials.

How do I prevent that from happening? I thought the printerdrivers should be upgraded using the iPrint software, not via user rights?
I have set "AllowUserPrinters = 3" in iprint.ini, but to no avail.
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Upgrading Windows 7 HP printer driver with normal user r

Having simular issue. There must be a Zen solution for this issue . Come on people.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Upgrading Windows 7 HP printer driver with normal user r

leecymj;2286454 wrote:
Having simular issue. There must be a Zen solution for this issue . Come on people.

Yes, I now have a working workaround.
I created a ZCM bundle to install the HP Universal Printer Driver (version 5.7). Make sure you do it unmodified (so don't use the driver tool from HP), because if you do Windows thinks it is no longer a signed driver and UAC pops up.
Than I overwrote the printers conf file that I made with the driver modification tool via the same ZCM bundle.

Now when I upgrade the printer driver on iPrint Windows sees the driver is already there and won't try to install via iPrint.

It is a working solution, but this defeats the purpose of having a driver store in iPrint to install printer drivers.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.