UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

WARNING A child process has gone or the iPrint Manager

Left work on Friday and iprint was running fine. This morning phone started ringing no one could print. tailing the log file I see: WARNING A child process has gone or the iPrint Manager has just experienced a fatal error. It will be restarted by its monitor process, and Iprint is continually restarting. Also see: WARNING The kernel has indicated that a gateway, ilprsrvrd or accounting process is gone. Absolutely no updates have been installed and iprint has been running on this server since May. I dont think there has been any new iprint printers installed either. Server is not in a cluster, nor is iprint on an nss volume. Server is OES Linux sp2. How do I get this working again, and why does it happen?
0 Likes
15 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Were you able to solve this? I have a customer who had exactly the same thing happen after lunch today!
0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class

No I havent. I have had nothing but problems with the new os. Im starting to think I should have bit the bullet and migrated to Windows servers instead of trying to stay with Novell. This is the second iprint server I have had that has stopped working for no reason. The other one only had 6 printers on it, so redoing everything wasnt that big a deal. This one is running 60 or so print agents, so Im not very excited about redoing all those if the print database has somehow gotten corrupt. There are a few tids on support, but none of them seem to fix the issue. One even says the infamous "engineering is aware of this issue" but it didnt fix my problem either.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Have you opened an incident with Novell on this issue?

- Anders Gustafsson (Sysop)
The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

Novell has a new enhancement request system,
or what is now known as the requirement portal.
If customers would like to give input in the upcoming
releases of Novell products then they should go to
http://www.novell.com/rms

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Here is a thread that has similar issues. Can you try that?

iPrint Manager crashing, database problems - novell.support.open-enterprise-server.linux.printing | Google Groups

And as Anders said, can you raise an SR?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I am also having the exact same problem. Checking the log at 12:10 this afternoot it started. Setting the read privs did nothing. I'm afraid I can't afford a Novell Incident, as it costs as much as we pay for using the OS for a year (small school).

Any assistance is appreciated.

Craig Lyndes
St Albans City School
0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class

My rights were set correctly also. What I ended up doing to get things back up is outlined in tid 3006957, restoring iprint manager database in disaster recovery. Basically you import some .xml files using the iprntman utility. Its outlined fairly well. That got the print manager recreated and loaded. Then I recreated printer agents, and pushed the printers back out to the users. The import utility errored out, so thats why I recreated the printers. That was tuesday. This morning I got another phone call from one of our computer labs, no can print. I looked at the server and it was doing the same thing. This time I ended up deleting the print manager from the tree and recreating it using the prntman utility. I suspect its going to crash again. If it does, Im going to can the entire thing and look for another solution. And we dont have money for a support request either. I am support. There really isnt any reason why it should be crashing. I just think there is a big bug in iprint that Novell needs to fix before releasing.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Fixed! Costly though!

Spent the $1000 for a support call (Was that a hint Anders?). After messing with Aero Support people who were trying to work with too many people at once finally got through to a Novell tech who gave me a patch;

novell-iprint-server-6.2.20101117_ftf_cumu-1.1.x86_64.rpm

Installed it, and it fixed the problem instantly. The patch is not available for download (as far as I can tell).

Here are the entries from the ipsmd.log that identified the problem;
Dec 9 12:10:17 WARNING The print manager (24128) received signal: 17 from process (24142) running with uid (106).
Dec 9 12:10:17 WARNING PSMChildSigHandler1: child with pid 24142 terminated with signal 11
Dec 9 12:10:17 WARNING The kernel has indicated that a gateway, ilprsrvrd or accounting process is gone.
Dec 9 12:10:18 INFO The iPrint Manager has unloaded successfully.
Dec 9 12:10:18 WARNING A child process has gone or the iPrint Manager has just experienced a fatal error. It will be restarted by its monitor process.

Hope this helps others who are having this problem.

Craig Lyndes
St Albans City School
lyndesc@fcsuvt.org
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This started happening to us in the last week. 3 times now. Here's how I got it working again:

cd /opt/novell/iprint/bin
./ipsmd -r psmdbsav.dat

psmdbsav.dat is a backup of the iprint database from 1AM done automatically by iprint. See TID 3006957 for more info.

Very strange indeed as it just starts crapping out without changes to the system...
0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class

Just crashed for me again. Wish novell would release that patch. Do not have 1000 to spend on something that should work. However, Im wondering if something in google docs could be causing this. Everytime one of my users prints from google docs, the print server dies. ./ipsmd -r psmdbsav.dat got it back without any issues. Will it continue to work is the question.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Not sure if it's related but we have an iPrint server whose printers go into a "not bound state". I've been clearing out the queues one by one, copying the jobs to another folder each time then restarting the iPrint. It always seems to be related to a job printed from a url containing "docsviewer.googleusercontent.com/viewer/securedownload".
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 20:06:02 +0000, buddhagw wrote:

> Not sure if it's related but we have an iPrint server whose printers go
> into a "not bound state". I've been clearing out the queues one by one,
> copying the jobs to another folder each time then restarting the iPrint.
> It always seems to be related to a job printed from a url containing
> "docsviewer.googleusercontent.com/viewer/securedownload".

There was a problem with jobs having more than 256 characters in the job
name which has been fixed now.

The fix is available in Nov 2010 patch. Please apply the patch and let us
know if it fixes your problem or not.

Thanks & Regards,
Neeraj
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.