boblmartens Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.
1973 views

XenServer Tools Installation

I'm attempting to install the XenServer tools on a newly imported iPrint 2.0 appliance. Has anyone been able to get the tools installed?
0 Likes
16 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re:XenServer Tools Installation

boblmartens Wrote in message:

> I'm attempting to install the XenServer tools on a newly imported iPrint
> 2.0 appliance. Has anyone been able to get the tools installed?


The above suggests that you know the procedure but it's not working?

I note the iPrint 2 documentation doesn't reference the XenServer
Tools but they are (briefly) mentioned in the Filr 2
documentation[1] - "install the xs-tools" (step 7). Citrix's own
documentation is hopefully a bit more helpful [2].

HTH.

[1] https://www.novell.com/documentation/novell-filr-2/filr-2-inst
/data/b12r2lau.html#b1jk1gbf
[2] http://docs.citrix.com/en-us/xencenter/6-5/xs-xc-vms-configuri
ng/xs-xc-vms-installtools.html
--
Simon Flood
Micro Focus (Novell/NetIQ) Knowledge Partner


----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
0 Likes
boblmartens Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: XenServer Tools Installation

Very familiar with installing the XenServer Tools (and have them installed on the Filr 2 appliance). Sadly, the iPrint appliance is not as ... easily packaged for XenServer as Filr is. Essentially it looks like I am installing the exported VMware appliance, and the converted plain-Xen appliance does not start.

I was hoping that the iPrint appliance would be on-par with the Filr appliance, but that did not happen.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: XenServer Tools Installation

On 09/06/16 05:16, boblmartens wrote:

> Very familiar with installing the XenServer Tools (and have them
> installed on the Filr 2 appliance). Sadly, the iPrint appliance is not
> as ... easily packaged for XenServer as Filr is. Essentially it looks
> like I am installing the exported VMware appliance, and the converted
> plain-Xen appliance does not start.
>
> I was hoping that the iPrint appliance would be on-par with the Filr
> appliance, but that did not happen.


Hmm I had understood that both the Filr and iPrint appliances were built
the same way. Let me ask my contacts at Micro Focus.

HTH.
--
Simon
Micro Focus (Novell/NetIQ) Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
boblmartens Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: XenServer Tools Installation

smflood;2431119 wrote:
On 09/06/16 05:16, boblmartens wrote:

> Very familiar with installing the XenServer Tools (and have them
> installed on the Filr 2 appliance). Sadly, the iPrint appliance is not
> as ... easily packaged for XenServer as Filr is. Essentially it looks
> like I am installing the exported VMware appliance, and the converted
> plain-Xen appliance does not start.
>
> I was hoping that the iPrint appliance would be on-par with the Filr
> appliance, but that did not happen.


Hmm I had understood that both the Filr and iPrint appliances were built
the same way. Let me ask my contacts at Micro Focus.

HTH.
--
Simon
Micro Focus (Novell/NetIQ) Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------


Quite possible I am just crazy, but I'm not seeing the option to download the appliance as an .xva ... which would be preferable to anything else that is available. Or even being able to install the .ovf but get the XenServer Tools installed would be a great option.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: XenServer Tools Installation

On 09/06/16 13:36, boblmartens wrote:

> Quite possible I am just crazy, but I'm not seeing the option to
> download the appliance as an .xva ... which would be preferable to
> anything else that is available. Or even being able to install the .ovf
> but get the XenServer Tools installed would be a great option.


No you're not crazy, unlike with the Filr 2 appliance, there is no XVA
download option for the iPrint 2 appliance and indeed the docs say to
download the OVF version.

I'll report back when I get an answer from my Micro Focus contacts.

HTH.
--
Simon
Micro Focus (Novell/NetIQ) Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
boblmartens Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: XenServer Tools Installation

Were you able to hear anything back from them?
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: XenServer Tools Installation

On 08/07/16 15:06, boblmartens wrote:

> Were you able to hear anything back from them?


Nothing yet. I'll chase.

HTH.
--
Simon
Micro Focus (Novell/NetIQ) Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: XenServer Tools Installation

On 08/06/16 20:16, boblmartens wrote:

> I'm attempting to install the XenServer tools on a newly imported iPrint
> 2.0 appliance. Has anyone been able to get the tools installed?


So I've heard back from Micro Focus - can we get the steps you're
following and any error messages?

HTH.
--
Simon
Micro Focus (Novell/NetIQ) Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
boblmartens Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: XenServer Tools Installation

smflood;2435309 wrote:
On 08/06/16 20:16, boblmartens wrote:

> I'm attempting to install the XenServer tools on a newly imported iPrint
> 2.0 appliance. Has anyone been able to get the tools installed?


So I've heard back from Micro Focus - can we get the steps you're
following and any error messages?

HTH.
--
Simon
Micro Focus (Novell/NetIQ) Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can put together a more substantial post next week, but here are some specifics.

When converting the Xen image so that it can be imported into XenServer, I can never get it to fully boot up. It will import, but never fully startup. I can do another experiment next week to tell you where, in the process, I am getting hung up on.

When using the recommended download for the server, I can import it and start it up and then run the install of the Xen Tools, but they are never fully installed (or recognized) because XenCenter is never satisfied and I cannot do things like live migrate VMs so I can run updates without having to shut anything off (which is the main reason I want to get the Xen Tools installed along with HA). No errors that I can see, just install, reboot, and the nothing.

The reason I'm asking this is because I do not have issues with the Filr appliance and they provide an .xva for me to import which works great and requires no conversion (like the Xen appliance which is then HUGE).

Feel free to pass that on or get me in touch with someone I can work with. Thanks!
0 Likes
boblmartens Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: XenServer Tools Installation

I'll add that I would be willing to offer free testing of any appliances they have on XenServer 7.0 if they don't want to do the work. The main things I am looking for are easy import into XenServer and the ability to install the XenServer guest tooling so that I can do things like live migrations between hosts and performance data within XenCenter.
0 Likes
mcalderw Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: XenServer Tools Installation

boblmartens;2435563 wrote:
I'll add that I would be willing to offer free testing of any appliances they have on XenServer 7.0 if they don't want to do the work. The main things I am looking for are easy import into XenServer and the ability to install the XenServer guest tooling so that I can do things like live migrations between hosts and performance data within XenCenter.


Was a solution every arrived at for XenServer tools? Would love to be able to get the tools installed and this is the only thread I've found pertaining to the subject?
0 Likes
boblmartens Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: XenServer Tools Installation

mcalderw;2452621 wrote:
Was a solution every arrived at for XenServer tools? Would love to be able to get the tools installed and this is the only thread I've found pertaining to the subject?


We moved, as soon as possible, to the new iPrint 2.1 appliance. That worked better for us on XenServer 7.0.
0 Likes
mcalderw Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: XenServer Tools Installation

boblmartens;2452625 wrote:
We moved, as soon as possible, to the new iPrint 2.1 appliance. That worked better for us on XenServer 7.0.


So your's is working? I'm on 7.0 and 2.1 but tools still say not installed. What process did you use to install if I may ask?
0 Likes
boblmartens Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: XenServer Tools Installation

mcalderw;2452627 wrote:
So your's is working? I'm on 7.0 and 2.1 but tools still say not installed. What process did you use to install if I may ask?


I used the XVA that Micro Focus is now supplying. Didn't really need to do anything different after that. Just checked and I am running the latest tools on it right now.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.