Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

device and printers long time to open iprint printers

Hi all,

We have some laptops (windows732bit iprint client 5.92/5.94) that go offsite each night and have found that when opening devices and printers, or word etc that check the printers and can take a long time to respond/show the printers. No doubt this is because of the ipp printers installed from iprint, the less amount of network printers the quicker it opens etc.

Is there a way to shorten/eliminate the timeout for checking of network printers at all?

Thanks.
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: device and printers long time to open iprint printers

clarja;2324189 wrote:
Hi all,

We have some laptops (windows732bit iprint client 5.92/5.94) that go offsite each night and have found that when opening devices and printers, or word etc that check the printers and can take a long time to respond/show the printers. No doubt this is because of the ipp printers installed from iprint, the less amount of network printers the quicker it opens etc.

Is there a way to shorten/eliminate the timeout for checking of network printers at all?

Thanks.

Hi,
try the latest client there is a fix a "slow issue" not sure if it's the same issue that you have but worth a try:

Fixes introduced in the 5.96 iPrint Client

Print Spooler Crash with WinXP/Win7 and 5.94 iPrint Client. (See TID 7014728)
iPrint client 5.94 slow updating windows printer properties page (Bug 865327)

On these computers, what printer model is installed and what driver + version are they using?

Thomas
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Thomas,

I installed the latest client but this did not fix the problem.

It seems to be that the Devices and Printers is trying to poll each printer when it opens, and eventually timesout after a while and displays the printers. This isnt so much an issue until you open up word etc and try to print and it sits forever - I assume polling to find the network printers installed.

Is there any way of chaning this behaviour - I know this sounds more like a windows behaviour but it only does it for iprint installed printers (mine are named the default ipp://ipaddress/printer - yes IP not DNS ) not for those installed from a 2003 server etc.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have found the solution in TID 7008411, while it doesnt eliminate it does reduce the time.

Thanks.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.