Highlighted
rhuhman1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

iPrint 2.1 - Printer Profiles not working

I upgraded from iPrint 2.0 to iPrint 2.1 and had also recently changed out some older copier/mfp's that require print profiles to help the end user setup. The first thing I noticed is that the older profiles are not listed on the driver page for the print drivers. No big deal at first since I was going to recreate the profile for the new Kyocera MFP anyway. I went through the process of configuring the Profile, it even stated it was created successfully. Yet the profile never shows up. This would be for Windows 7 x64 and Windows 8/8.1/10.

I am guessing that I have a config file stuck or something that might be easily fixed. Anyone have an idea what I might check to get this working?

Thanks

Richard
0 Likes
12 Replies
boblmartens Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Re: iPrint 2.1 - Printer Profiles not working

I'm having issues as well with the profile configuration. I get an error when attempting to create a new profile, and this is on a fresh appliance. Here is the error:

Error: Create Printer Driver Profile Failure
Error occurred configuring driver.
0 Likes
mjbop1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I have the same problem. Just added the 531 patch to 2.0 and I have the same issue. I might have had the problem before but I didn't need to work with profiles until now. When I add a new profile it acts like it was created but it is not there. Funny thing if I try to create it again with the same name I get an error. Profile already exists. DO you see that issue also?

Mike
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

mjbop1;2436380 wrote:
I have the same problem. Just added the 531 patch to 2.0 and I have the same issue. I might have had the problem before but I didn't need to work with profiles until now. When I add a new profile it acts like it was created but it is not there. Funny thing if I try to create it again with the same name I get an error. Profile already exists. DO you see that issue also?

Mike

Sadly, I'm not sure if it is the same if only because I wasn't on 2.0 but on 1.1 before this which is why I decided to ditch it and start fresh so that I could fix some of my past mistakes. I'm hoping that Micro Focus on shed some light on what is going on.
0 Likes
rhuhman1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, the exact same thing. I did turn on my 2.0 appliance and try the same process and got the same results.
0 Likes
bobjohnson Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I tried this on 2.0 and 2.1 with an HP Universal print driver 6.2.1 and it seems to be working for me. The PDP data is written to the psmdb.dat. The data is also backed up to the padbtxt.xml. So assuming the PDP did get created, the data should be in the .XML. Take a look at the file to see if it is present. You should see data like this:
<profile>
<ostype>windows-nt-6.1</ostype>
<cputype>x86-64</cputype>
<profilename>Test</profilename>
<drivername>HP%20Universal%20Printing%20PS%20(v6.2.1)</drivername>
<timestamp>1470686644</timestamp>
<data>
Followed by a large string of data you will not understand. If that data is present, you might be able to import the .XML. You can use the steps from TID 3006957 to accomplish this. Here is an extract from the TID: (Note the directories referenced are different for the Appliance)
Unload the Print Manager
rcnovell-ipsmd stop
Ensure the Print Manager is unloaded by typing:
ps -ef | grep ipsmd
Only the grep command should be returned. If more than the grep line is returned, kill the ipsmd process.
Backup the Print Manager database and XML file by copying the psmdb.dat and padbtxt.xml to a safe location.
In this example, it will copy the files to /tmp. You may desire to copy to a different location:
cp /var/opt/novell/iprint/[PSM].[OU]..psm/psmdb.dat /tmp/psmdb.dat
cp /var/opt/novell/iprint/[PSM].[OU]..psm/padbtxt.xml /tmp/padbtxt.xml

Re-create the database
Run the following:
rcnovell-ipsmd stop
/opt/novell/iprint/bin/ipsmd -x /tmp/padbtxt.xml
These examples assume you chose to use the most recent xml file: padbtxt.xml
Start ipsmd
rcnovell-ipsmd start

This might get the PDP to at least be recognized but still doesn't address the issue. If there are specific details you can provide such as PDP names and drivers that might help us duplicate the issue let us know. If you have the option, it might be worth opening a service request.
0 Likes
mjbop1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I fixed the cert problem first then rebuilt the database as per the post. It worked great.
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

I will take a look at this soon. Thanks!
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

I tried the steps you outlined above and it did not make a difference. I will reboot the appliance and see if something "works" after that.
0 Likes
mjbop1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Now Windows 10 is acting the same way. It seems to add the Windows 10 printer profile but it doesn't show up in the list. No error....
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Do you see the data in the padbtxt.xml like before? Can you post a download link to the printer driver you are using? Does it seem to be printer driver specific or is this behavior for all PDPs you try to create?
0 Likes
mjbop1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This is what I see in my padbtxt.xml file. I have around 10 profiles for windows 10 that do not show up. I wonder if I should delete all the win 10 profiles and restore.

<profile>
<ostype>windows-nt-6.2</ostype>
<cputype>x86-64</cputype>
<profilename>MPC6003-10</profilename>
<drivername>RICOH%20MP%20C6003%20PCL%205c</drivername>
<timestamp>1453920809</timestamp>
<data>UEsDBBQAAgAIAJyWO0jaszjxvgE I cropped this out gAAAAADAAMArAAAAG8RAAAAAAAA</data>
</profile>
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Do you have a way to provide me with a copy of the padbtxt.xml and the psmdb.dat from your Appliance?
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.