Highlighted
taylormasd Absent Member.
Absent Member.
1392 views

iPrint Apache logs issue

We are currently having an issue where our iPrint Apache logs

/var/log/apache2/access_log
and
/var/log/apache2/ssl_request_log

both grow at an enormous rate (by the end of a 24 hour period they are about 3.5GB each).
I have attached excerpts from those logs to give you an idea of what they look like.

in addition to this, our printing is VERY hit or miss. We are having issues installing printers from the iprint web interface (see attached jpgs), when people try to print, sometimes it prints, sometimes it fails.

It appears that spoolsv.exe on our computers is constantly talking back to our iprint server, which doesn't seem right. I have attached a packet capture from wireshark to show what sort of traffic is going between the iprint server and a workstation.

Here is the weird thing, this all started last week wednesday (2013-09-18). We found it was happening because our log files grew so large that we ran out of disk space on the server. iPrint was running fine up until then (since it was installed late last school year).

One of our engineers thinks that something changed on all the workstations. We can rule out windows updates because they aren't currently being pushed out.
I'm wondering if it is possible that something changed or was dorked up server side.

I'm a little out of my depth here, and would appreciate greatly any help you can provide 🙂

Thanks in advance,

Taylor Hammerling
MASD
Tags (4)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: iPrint Apache logs issue

taylormasd,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com/

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: iPrint Apache logs issue

Hi Taylor,

Sorry for the late response.

You don't mention what OS/SP version, nor version of iPrint running both backend and client side. Care to share those details with us?

Thanks.
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: iPrint Apache logs issue

In article <taylormasd.628qa0@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Taylormasd
wrote:
> /var/log/apache2/access_log
> and
> /var/log/apache2/ssl_request_log
>
> both grow at an enormous rate (by the end of a 24 hour period they are
> about 3.5GB each).
> I have attached excerpts from those logs to give you an idea of what
> they look like.
>

Well the contents of those files looks normal. From just the 10 second
clip I can tell you have lots of workstations, likely past 1000. So
what we might be dealing with is just note enough space for normal log
growth, and as soon as that started gumming things up, the workstations
try to get to the printers more often making the logs grow faster.
- How far back do your logs go, and have they been about the same size
all the way back or are there any jumps in size along the way?
- Are all those logs getting compressed (*.bz2) after midnight?
- How much space does the whole /var/log/apache2 dir take "du -h" (for
reference, an under 100 user client of mine is running at about 47MB)
- What OS version are you running iPrint on?
- Is is all one volume? What are your volume sizes?
- How long has this server been running?


I've had iPrint do strange things and be just plain troublesome when it
gets low on space, so lets make sure we get that issue out of the way
before digging further.



Andy Konecny
Knowledge Partner (voluntary SysOp)
KonecnyConsulting.ca in Toronto
http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=75037
If you find a post helpful, please show your appreciation by clicking on
the star below.

___
Andy of Konecny Consulting in Toronto
Knowledge Partner Profile
If you find a post helpful, click the Like button below. Thanks!
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: iPrint Apache logs issue

On 25/09/2013 21:36, taylormasd wrote:

> Here is the weird thing, this all started last week wednesday
> (2013-09-18). We found it was happening because our log files grew so
> large that we ran out of disk space on the server. iPrint was running
> fine up until then (since it was installed late last school year).
>
> One of our engineers thinks that something changed on all the
> workstations. We can rule out windows updates because they aren't
> currently being pushed out.
> I'm wondering if it is possible that something changed or was dorked up
> server side.


I'm guessing something (was) changed somewhere and unless you patched or
configured something server-side then I'd be looking at the workstation end.

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: iPrint Apache logs issue

On 05/10/2013 03:27, Andy Konecny wrote:

> - How far back do your logs go, and have they been about the same size
> all the way back or are there any jumps in size along the way?
> - Are all those logs getting compressed (*.bz2) after midnight?
> - How much space does the whole /var/log/apache2 dir take "du -h" (for
> reference, an under 100 user client of mine is running at about 47MB)
> - What OS version are you running iPrint on?
> - Is is all one volume? What are your volume sizes?
> - How long has this server been running?


In addition to letting us know the answers to the above, what version of
Windows are your workstations running and with which version of the
iPrint client?

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: iPrint Apache logs issue

On 10/07/2013 04:08 PM, Simon Flood wrote:
> On 25/09/2013 21:36, taylormasd wrote:
>
>> Here is the weird thing, this all started last week wednesday
>> (2013-09-18). We found it was happening because our log files grew so
>> large that we ran out of disk space on the server. iPrint was running
>> fine up until then (since it was installed late last school year).
>>
>> One of our engineers thinks that something changed on all the
>> workstations. We can rule out windows updates because they aren't
>> currently being pushed out.
>> I'm wondering if it is possible that something changed or was dorked up
>> server side.

>
> I'm guessing something (was) changed somewhere and unless you patched or
> configured something server-side then I'd be looking at the workstation
> end.
>
> HTH.



consider tid7012473 as well
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.