Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
2062 views

iPrint Appliance glitches

Hi there, anyone having success with the new iPrint appliance? It got it up and running no problem. Created a printer using iManager on the appliance but printer doesn't show up in the list of available printers. Restarted the ipsmd service, no printer. Restarted the appliance, no printer, yet I can manage printer through iManager.

Also used the migration tool to transfer printers to the appliance. Again, they show up in iManager but not in iPrint console. What am I missing?

Teresa
0 Likes
14 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: iPrint Appliance glitches

Ideas? Please share your experiences with the new iPrint appliance. Lots of people have viewed this post but no comments. Since the Filr appliance is the same maybe there are some clues in that forum. Thanks!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: iPrint Appliance glitches

I ran into similar issue. When the security certificate warning popped up. I wasn't paying attention when creating the printer but it wasn't completing, i think it was halting at the security warning, unfortunately, i don't really remember what i did, but i believe i added the certificate to the trusted certificates list and wasn't getting the warning anymore and my printer creating completed successfully
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: iPrint Appliance glitches

csthorne;2273857 wrote:
I ran into similar issue. When the security certificate warning popped up. I wasn't paying attention when creating the printer but it wasn't completing, i think it was halting at the security warning, unfortunately, i don't really remember what i did, but i believe i added the certificate to the trusted certificates list and wasn't getting the warning anymore and my printer creating completed successfully



Same but I was lucky and read it 🙂 Basically the first printer you try to create will prompt you to accept the certificate but will not create the printer. Every subsequent printer should be ok. I have created a POC iPrint Appliance server and have some 9 printers created. I also have the mobile feature running and can now print via iOS and Android devices. I also have some issues and will post them.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: iPrint Appliance glitches

On 07/22/2013 10:46 PM, tmcgoffin wrote:
>
> Hi there, anyone having success with the new iPrint appliance? It got
> it up and running no problem. Created a printer using iManager on the
> appliance but printer doesn't show up in the list of available printers.
> Restarted the ipsmd service, no printer. Restarted the appliance, no
> printer, yet I can manage printer through iManager.
>
> Also used the migration tool to transfer printers to the appliance.
> Again, they show up in iManager but not in iPrint console. What am I
> missing?
>
> Teresa
>
>


Hi, can you go to /var/opt/novell/iprint/print_manager.iprintappliance/
and check the padbtxt.xml file? Does this file contain the imported
printers?

if not, go to imanager, manage print manager, manager health monitor,
advanced iprintmanager information, under interfaces select iprint
manager internal, click in examine database, how many printers do you
see? is it showing the imported printers there?

Gonzalo
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: iPrint Appliance glitches

zos wrote:

> > I ran into similar issue. When the security certificate warning
> > popped up. I wasn't paying attention when creating the printer but
> > it wasn't completing, i think it was halting at the security
> > warning, unfortunately, i don't really remember what i did, but i
> > believe i added the certificate to the trusted certificates list
> > and wasn't getting the warning anymore and my printer creating
> > completed successfully

>
>
> Same but I was lucky and read it 🙂 Basically the first printer you
> try to create will prompt you to accept the certificate but will not
> create the printer. Every subsequent printer should be ok.


Correct. This is in the docs as well.

http://www.novell.com/documentation/iprint-appliance1/iprint_appliance/data/b13k5oy0.html



Configure the iManager security certificate. To create a printer on
iPrint Appliance, you must accept the security certificate for the
first time.

When you specify values in the Create Printer page for the first
time, the values are ignored. To accept the security certificate, fill
in the required fields with the first printer that you want to create,
then click Next.

Click iPrint Certificate Manager when an error is generated.

Select the Trust the above certificate option, then click OK.

Click OK to complete the security certificate configuration.


--
Your world is on the move. http://www.novell.com/mobility/
We know what your world looks like. http://www.novell.com/yourworld/

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: iPrint Appliance glitches

Yes it is in the docs, and thats really what caught my attention on the second try. 🙂

b. Click iPrint Certificate Manager when an error is generated.

c. Select the Trust the above certificate option, then click OK.

d. Click OK to complete the security certificate configuration.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: iPrint Appliance glitches

On 07/22/2013 10:46 PM, tmcgoffin wrote:
>
> Hi there, anyone having success with the new iPrint appliance? It got
> it up and running no problem. Created a printer using iManager on the
> appliance but printer doesn't show up in the list of available printers.
> Restarted the ipsmd service, no printer. Restarted the appliance, no
> printer, yet I can manage printer through iManager.
>
> Also used the migration tool to transfer printers to the appliance.
> Again, they show up in iManager but not in iPrint console. What am I
> missing?
>
> Teresa
>
>


i was able to duplicate it and i've open a defect. It looks like the
imported printers are added to the database but not to the padbtxt.xml
file and this is the file that MC looks at it to show the available
printer to be enable for airprint/email. Novell engineering is already
looking at it

Gonzalo
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: iPrint Appliance glitches

On 25/07/2013 10:12, Mysterious wrote:

> i was able to duplicate it and i've open a defect. It looks like the
> imported printers are added to the database but not to the padbtxt.xml
> file and this is the file that MC looks at it to show the available
> printer to be enable for airprint/email. Novell engineering is already
> looking at it


Bug 831328.

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Technology Transfer
Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: iPrint Appliance glitches

On 07/25/2013 12:18 PM, Simon Flood wrote:
> On 25/07/2013 10:12, Mysterious wrote:
>
>> i was able to duplicate it and i've open a defect. It looks like the
>> imported printers are added to the database but not to the padbtxt.xml
>> file and this is the file that MC looks at it to show the available
>> printer to be enable for airprint/email. Novell engineering is already
>> looking at it

>
> Bug 831328.
>
> HTH.


Issue was with the ownership and permission of the psmd* and padb*
files, they had the wrong one so i need to know from you Teresa if this
is a new appliance or if you have restore the settings from a previous
appliance as i did so we can confirm or if either the applaince restore
or the miggui when importing the printers, the one changing the files
ownership. It will help as well if you can go into your
/var/opt/novell/iprint/print_manager.iPrintappliance/ and issue the ll
command and paste the output here.

Thanks

Gonzalo
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: iPrint Appliance glitches

This is a new appliance. I checked the padbtxt.xml file and the printers are there. The permissions are:

padbtxt.xml -rw-rw----
padbtxt1.xml -rw-------

psmdb.dat -rw-r--r--
psmdbold.dat -rw-r--r--
psmdbsav.dat -rw
psmdbsv1.dat -rw

Thanks for the feedback! If I can get this going before the start of school, it will be great.

Teresa
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: iPrint Appliance glitches

tmcgoffin wrote:

> This is a new appliance. I checked the padbtxt.xml file and the
> printers are there. The permissions are:
>
> padbtxt.xml -rw-rw----
> padbtxt1.xml -rw-------
>
> psmdb.dat -rw-r--r--
> psmdbold.dat -rw-r--r--
> psmdbsav.dat -rw
> psmdbsv1.dat -rw


That shows the permissions but not the ownership. Please can you post the
output from "ll /var/opt/novell/iprint/print_manager.iPrintappliance/".

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.