lwelch01 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

iPrint + Mac OS X Lion + HP

Hi all,

Have come up against a nasty issue here.

iPrint is running on an OES 11 server with all latest updates applied.

Clients are Mac OS X 10.7.2 Lion, plain install without the 500+MB HP Driver Package from Apple.

I have used a test system to install the HP Driver Package on, and then extract the required PPD file for a LaserJet 4250 and upload to the DriverStore on the iPrint server. This works fine. On that same test system, I can then install the iPrint printer from the /ipp page.

On the client production systems, without the HP Driver package pre-installed, installing that same printer from the /ipp page does not work.

It throws the message

"iPrint encountered a problem trying to install the printer
The filter(s) specified in the PPD could not be found/resolved."

From some research it looks like that because the filters are not in place on the client systems, iPrint will not copy down the PPD file and install the printer on the system.

I did not come up against this problem on Snow Leopard. Is this a new thing in Lion where the required filters are not already present on the base installed system? Is iPrint able to handle the missing filters somehow?

At the moment I can't make use of iPrint to deliver these HP printers because I can not suggest to users that they either obtain the 500MB package or connect directly to the LPD and use Apple Software Update to put the filters into place.

Solutions? Generic PPDs? Will that work for Colour LaserJets?
0 Likes
6 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: iPrint + Mac OS X Lion + HP

lwelch01,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com/

0 Likes
Not applicable

lwelch01;2177662 wrote:
Hi all,

Clients are Mac OS X 10.7.2 Lion, plain install without the 500+MB HP Driver Package from Apple.

I have not tried this, but it ceratinly sounds like the PPDs reference filters that are downloaded as part of the HP Driver package.

I tend to use PPDs from a package called HPLIP (HP Linux Imaging and Printing), when I last looked they were filter free, but that may not be the case anymore. Its easy to open the ppd to look and find out though.

The other solution would be to try to push out the 500+MB package onto all your macs.

Best of luck.
IanB
0 Likes
dumasmar Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

I have same problem but with Novell 6.5 ... Maybe it can give you some help:

1) install Hp driver for your printer - even if Mac OS Lion is supposed to have them "pre-installed" and restart your Mac. You have to create the PPD file after that from the .gz file of your printer.
2) copy the PPD file on your server whre it should be copied
2) before defining your iPrint printer into your browser, do the following commands in Terminal:
cd /Library/Printers/hp/filter
sudo ln -s hpPostProcessing.bundle/Contents/MacOS/hpPostProcessing hppostprocessing ; le mot de passe sera demandé ensuite - inscrire le mot de passe du profil "utilisateur"
3) Open your browser and try define your iPrint printers

It worked for ma for HP Laserjet 5100, 5200 and 8000, Mac OS X lion 10.7.5, iprint client 5.00, on Novell Netware 6.5 server

I hope this can help.

Maryse D.

lwelch01;2177662 wrote:
Hi all,

I have used a test system to install the HP Driver Package on, and then extract the required PPD file for a LaserJet 4250 and upload to the DriverStore on the iPrint server. This works fine. On that same test system, I can then install the iPrint printer from the /ipp page.

On the client production systems, without the HP Driver package pre-installed, installing that same printer from the /ipp page does not work.

It throws the message

From some research it looks like that because the filters are not in place on the client systems, iPrint will not copy down the PPD file and install the printer on the system.

I did not come up against this problem on Snow Leopard. Is this a new thing in Lion where the required filters are not already present on the base installed system? Is iPrint able to handle the missing filters somehow?

At the moment I can't make use of iPrint to deliver these HP printers because I can not suggest to users that they either obtain the 500MB package or connect directly to the LPD and use Apple Software Update to put the filters into place.

0 Likes
Solr0r Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Maby this can help you: HP Printer Drivers v.2.9 OS X

Another solution i use (ccoment out cupsfilter inside PPD) look here: Working HPLIP drivers for Mac OS X Lion?

lwelch01;2177662 wrote:
Hi all,

It throws the message

0 Likes
nlandas Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Has anyone ever solved this completely. We'd like our iPrint Appliance to be able to push out drivers to visitors from our schools that bring Macs on campus. We can't push out the 500MB driver package to these computers prior to meetings. We need them to go to the ipp page and click a printer to install just like Windows can.

We now have Windows, iPad, and Android printing working with our iPrint Appliance on MOST of our printers. Some aren't compatible.

Our last hurdle is that we can only seem to get printers to install onto a Mac that already has the correct PPD installed for the printer.

This isn't user friendly and really not a viable solution. Pointing them at a different web page with the PPD and then the link to the printer isn't really a solution either.

I thought that Novell/NetIQ were now all about supporting multiple platforms? The documentation is no help and we've been searching the forums and reading thread, after thread about similar issues. I'm commenting on this thread even though it's several years old because it is the first one I've found that seems to be close to a solution.

Any help is appreciated.

-Nyle
0 Likes
lwelch01 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Time to circle back on this some years after I initially created the thread.

The issue is still fundamentally unsolved.

There have been moments of high hope in seeing a solution. Back in July 2014, the product manager for iPrint reached out to the educational user community and asked about the Mac driver pain points. Naturally I directed him to this thread which he acknowledged and thanked me for the input.

Unfortunately, that long-time product manager left Novell late last year.

HOWEVER, I have personally met the current iPrint product manager and again brought this thread to his attention.

I received a personal response from himself as well as his engineering team who have again acknowledged that this is high on their priority list and were able to say it will be completely resolved with Mac PDE support coming in. That exchange took place in April of this year.

iPrint is a good solution particularly in the education market. Other solutions do not come with the same cross platform client flexibility or have the same accounting (and user identification) hooks provided in iPrint that are needed for page counting software. They just need to get this Mac driver fix done and then it will be great product.

I will continue doing my best in chasing Micro Focus people around the world until its done. Have fun 🙂
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.