Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

iPrint and iManager problems

Netware 6.5 SP7
When I try to administer iPrint in iManager (tried both server and workstation versions), all I get on the left is "iPrintX Management". When I click on that the only option is "Client Configuration".
I had iPrint working a couple years ago but never used it. I recently updated the server to SP7 and would like to use it again. Any ideas? thanks!
0 Likes
17 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I think I have it figured out. I went to the RBS config and it showed a module that wasn't installed...it happened to be the iprint module. Installed that and iprint is now showing up!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

bkemp1;1669443 wrote:
Maybe I do have RBS installed... when I log into iManager it says "You are currently logged in as Admin with Collection Owner Access."

News to me...I don't even know what RBS is or what it does.

Craig - I have tried iManager Workstation version if that is what you mean by "mobile iManager"

RBS is a complex method that works sometimes, but more often than not causes more problems that it's worth. It sounds like you probably have them installed.

It's difficult to say without seeing your tree first-hand (at least for me it is), but if you have RBS in there, you can try creating a Role and adding in the iPrint role that you just installed yesterday (the plugin), making sure all the iPrint tasks are allowed, that they are inheritable, and assign it just high enough in the tree to cover all your print objects. If they are all in one container, assign the Scope in the RBS to just that container.

The problem with RBS that I've always had is that even though I log in with God rights to the entire tree, once you stick RBS in there, it seems to interfere with those rights. You have to go in and explicitly construct Roles to allow you to do the things you want to do. Often when you do that, you'll get a -672 (no access, which really mean RBS doesn't think you have rights to do what you're trying to do), or a -613 because eDirectory doesn't keep up with RBS regrading the object creation/modification that you are attempting to make. But if you keep trying it'll eventually work.

I would urge you to read up on Novell's website about RBS before you go off and try to work with them. If you invest a couple hours in trying to understand the rationale behind them, it'll make your job a lot easier in setting them up.

Sam

Craig - good catch about port 9011. Sorry about that.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

In article <bkemp1.3hzwqq@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Bkemp1 wrote:
> I think I have it figured out. I went to the RBS config and it showed a
> module that wasn't installed...it happened to be the iprint module.
> Installed that and iprint is now showing up!
>

That was it.

RBS is a way to give very selected access to perform certain tasks without
just granting too many rights.

As an example, I had a client yesterday that wanted to give certain users
the ability to manage iprint printers (only), which is a task within the
iPrint role.

Granting access looks to be by role only - at least I didn't see how to
directly grant just that task.

I created a custom role (I called it Manage Printer) and then I assigned
just that task into the role. Assigned the role to the user involved, and
when that user logged into iManager, the only role that showed up was the
custom role.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

In article <samthendsgod.3hzx7d@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Samthendsgod
wrote:
> RBS is a complex method that works sometimes, but more often than not
> causes more problems that it's worth. It sounds like you probably have
> them installed.
>

Partially agreed. Useful in large environments, not in small ones.

However, I think there may be some roles that require RBS to be
configured to show up at all? (BorderManager). I just always set it up
anymore and assume it needs to be there.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi there,

I am having the same issue- when I login to Imanager 2.7.0 installed on a NW6.5 box, I get only IprintX Management. I have installed Iprint for Netware plugin restarted tomcat but the same result.

I have a OES2 box with imanager 2.7.2,on this I have iprint tab and i can see tabs- manage printer, delete printer, manage broker, etc.. but when I try to manage and browse the to the printer container - it says no object found

The existing printers work without issues, users can print to the printers, etc...
Can someone help

thanks and regards
Rajesh
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

You are replying to a very old thread here.
I suggest that the first step you should take is try whether your problems
subsist if you update the components involved,
E.g. using iManager 2.7.3 FTF1 and the latest iPrint plugin (you didn't
specify what version you were using)

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcel Cox's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.