Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

iPrint asking for smartcard to insert ?

Hi!
iPrint 5.92. HP notebook attached to smartcard keyboard via USB dock. Probably after iPrint 5.92 setup over 5.90 suddenly during user login appear smartcard insert dialog with iPrint-icon on taskbar. User need to some 10 or more times to cancel it finally to disappear or insert a smartcard and enter PIN2 (used for sign, usually). So far just this one user.
Any ideas?
More thanks, Alar.
0 Likes
10 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: iPrint asking for smartcard to insert ?

NovAlf,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://forums.novell.com/

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

NovAlf

We too have the problem a place smartcard popup appears when a user logs on on Windows. It is the iprntctl TRAY ICON command that issues this popup.

What OS do you use?
Are the pc's in a domain? Which DC version?

And maybe the most imported question, have you solved this problem?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi and thanks!
We do use WXP and W7 (x86/x64), but this problem is reported only on W7 and also ... not on all. Yes, PC's in a domain, I suppose ... it's 2008-something, but I can't be sure as this is out of my reach. Also, problem start to happen after upgrade from iPrint Client 5.90 to 5.92. Our situation is a little more complicated as we have Estonian ID-card for general ID and for many IT-proceedings via web etc. Not sure this does interfere here, but it was claimed from support.
Novell did close a SR and ... well, not very helpful.
So, right now we don't have a solution.
More thanks, Alar.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

NovAlf;2297478 wrote:
Hi and thanks!
We do use WXP and W7 (x86/x64), but this problem is reported only on W7 and also ... not on all. Yes, PC's in a domain, I suppose ... it's 2008-something, but I can't be sure as this is out of my reach. Also, problem start to happen after upgrade from iPrint Client 5.90 to 5.92. Our situation is a little more complicated as we have Estonian ID-card for general ID and for many IT-proceedings via web etc. Not sure this does interfere here, but it was claimed from support.
Novell did close a SR and ... well, not very helpful.
So, right now we don't have a solution.
More thanks, Alar.

Hi,
were you ever able to solve this problem? We're heving the same issues. Looks like it appears on sites where we have a 2012 DC, but not on sites where we have a 2003 DC.
Thank you for sharing a solution or tip!,

Pieter
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi!
Sorry to say, but NO, we don't have a solution. We stick to 5.90 Client.
Alar.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi!
Any solution for this problem?
More thanks, Alar.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi again!
Did open a SR once again (as we running out of support in near future). We see this problem appear on more and more computers as WXP is replaced (were possible) with W7. All we want is this kind of asking smart card to insert to not appear. Well, as said before, to help us to sort out source of the problem.
Alar.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi!
Any … experiences/ideas on this subject? iPrint Client 5.98 and still same problem. Probably not on many places this appear as from support they … not very keen to handle this, understandable. Also, maybe this is in some way result from our ID-card soft, not sure, though. From their support … they don’t' have any ideas and not sure this is connected to their soft. Also understandable.
Maybe someone from the field has any ideas? 😃
More thanks, Alar.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi!
Well, as for some users this problem does not appear (using same device) I start to think this is connected to user profile, a little ... and I noticed it's (this "problem") connected to smart card certificates. Meaning, I logged in with clean profile on device on which Estonian ID-card soft installed and also iPrint. No credentials was asked by iPrint. Then I inserted our smart card (http://www.id.ee/?lang=en) while logged in, then logged out and in again and ... yes, iPrint Client asked twice per cert installed (two certs were installed) for authentication. Removed certs and re-logged and ... no authentication asked. Jah, this does not lead me any further, but maybe rises some ideas how to ... avoid this un-needed authentications prompt. Tried to change certs options via Internet Explorer, but didn't affect "problem" in no way. Yes, maybe some Windows policies is involved ... don't know, sorry to admit.
Alar.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Seems to command "C:\Windows\system32\iprntctl.exe TRAY_ICON" from Run-section does invoke authentications boxes. Don't know why I did not tried this before. Removing this start from registry does solve the unneeded authentication boxes to appear and seems to not to affect printing-functionality of iPrint. But, anyway, strange. Another thing I tried before – I removed one device from Windows domain and ... no such authentication appear. As soon I joined device again with domain ... start to happen, so, probably some policy etc. from domain part interfere here as well, not sure, though, which one. Also tried to remove smart card login option to appear ... didn't help.
Alar.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.