UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21. Read more.
UPDATE! The community will be go into read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific in preparation for migration on April 21.Read more.
1734 views

iPrint auto update

I've been tearing my hair out with this one all day, so you all may be able to save my sanity here.

Have just upgraded out NW6.5SP4a server to SP8. We were previously running iprint 4.26.

iPrint decided to automatically update in the majority of cases and worked fine, upgraded to 4.38 on Windows XP Pro PCs. One machine we upgraded manually via the ipp/ page on the server - still windows XP pro - but this upgraded to version 5.12!

Sure enough the win xp folder in apache2/htdocs/ippdocs have the 5.12 versions for XP and Vista and the older 4.38 version for 2k and below.

How on earth can we get the iprint clients to upgrade to the correct XP version? I have checke the iprint.ini file which sure enough has 438 lists for all versions and all OS in it. Does this need changing? I understood it was only for 'older' iPrint clients, what is an 'older' client?

TIA,
Mark.
0 Likes
4 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 17:56:14 +0000, MarkDissington wrote:

> How on earth can we get the iprint clients to upgrade to the correct XP
> version? I have checke the iprint.ini file which sure enough has 438
> lists for all versions and all OS in it. Does this need changing? I
> understood it was only for 'older' iPrint clients, what is an 'older'
> client?


Take a look in SYS:apache2/htdocs/ippdocs/clients/win-xp/version.ini.
That should show you the correct version. The version information in
iprint.ini is just for older clients, say pre-4.21 or so.





--
Joe Marton
Novell Support Forum SysOp
See what GroupWise 8 can do for you.
http://www.novell.com/products/groupwise/

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I think we might have had a similar situation. We found that the older
clients were pointing to the nipp.exe directly under ippdocs. Well it turns
out that later SP's removed nipp.exe from that location and added an Apache
RewriteRule that points those older clients to
/ippdocs/clients/win-9x-nt4/nipp.exe. So then, even if you had WinXP, you
would get the older 4.38 version of nipp.exe, rather than the newer 5.12
version. I don't know enough about Apache to know if the rule could do some
sort of check for WinXP, but it would be nice to have those older clients
update directly to 5.12 instead of 4.38.

"Joseph Marton" <jmartonNO@SPAMhsemuni.com> wrote in message
news:gS94l.11845$wo4.253@kovat.provo.novell.com...
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 17:56:14 +0000, MarkDissington wrote:
>
>> How on earth can we get the iprint clients to upgrade to the correct XP
>> version? I have checke the iprint.ini file which sure enough has 438
>> lists for all versions and all OS in it. Does this need changing? I
>> understood it was only for 'older' iPrint clients, what is an 'older'
>> client?

>
> Take a look in SYS:apache2/htdocs/ippdocs/clients/win-xp/version.ini.
> That should show you the correct version. The version information in
> iprint.ini is just for older clients, say pre-4.21 or so.
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Joe Marton
> Novell Support Forum SysOp
> See what GroupWise 8 can do for you.
> http://www.novell.com/products/groupwise/



0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Once a client is at 4.38, does it get updated to 5.12 at the next reboot
or does it remain at 4.38?

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcel Cox's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8
0 Likes

Marcel_Cox;1706439 wrote:
Once a client is at 4.38, does it get updated to 5.12 at the next reboot
or does it remain at 4.38?

--
Marcel Cox
Untitled Document
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marcel Cox's Profile: NOVELL FORUMS - View Profile: Marcel_Cox


Hi marcel,

Just stays at 4.38, you only get 5.12 if you manually click the install client link on the ipp webpage on the server.

I have found the rewrite rule that was refered to in SYS:\apache2\iprint\ipp.conf - the last IfModule block is below:

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^/[M|m][A|a][P|p][T|t][O|o][O|o][L|l].* http://%{HTTP_HOST}/ippdocs/maptool.htm [R,L]
RewriteRule ^/[P|p][S|s][M|m][S|s][T|t][A|a][T|t][U|u][S|s] https://%{HTTP_HOST}:8009/psmstatus [R,L]
RewriteRule ^/ippdocs/nipp.exe /ippdocs/clients/win-9x-nt4/nipp.exe [R,L]
</IfModule>

So I assume the client in 4.2x and 4.3x is still looking at ippdocs/nipp.exe and being forced to the win9x/nt4 version.

For now as we only have XP clients I will change this to point to the XP folder, but looks like a bug that needs sorting in the ipp client update paths.

Thanks,
Mark.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.