Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

iPrint crashed after updating

Hi all: yesterday I installed a few updates including several for apache, java, and ncpenc. Following the update and the restart of affected daemons we completely lost the ability to print. Trying to pull up the print manager in iManager resulted in errors, printers as well. With the help of Novell support we determined that the name of host name cannot have underscore characters in it. We do not use the server name so as to be able to move iPrint to a different server without having to rebuild everything. We have always used underscores for our host name, e.g. gr_ipp_mgr. But after the updates underscores are causing iPrint to choke. We had to rename the host to "grippmgr" and add this host name to DNS. Novell does not know what actually is happening yet.

Let me say that again, after the update, an iPrint host name that has underscores and worked for the past 10 years no longer worked.
0 Likes
2 Replies
Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: iPrint crashed after updating

I heard back from Novell this AM. They believe the "underscore" issue is the result of the updates actually enforcing an rfc that states no host name can contain an underscore.

>>> cmosentine<cmosentine@vrapc.com> 3/23/2017 8:19 AM >>>

Hi all: yesterday I installed a few updates including several for apache, java, and ncpenc. Following the update and the restart of affected daemons we completely lost the ability to print. Trying to pull up the print manager in iManager resulted in errors, printers as well. With the help of Novell support we determined that the name of host name cannot have underscore characters in it. We do not use the server name so as to be able to move iPrint to a different server without having to rebuild everything. We have always used underscores for our host name, e.g. gr_ipp_mgr. But after the updates underscores are causing iPrint to choke. We had to rename the host to "grippmgr" and add this host name to DNS. Novell does not know what actually is happening yet.

Let me say that again, after the update, an iPrint host name that has underscores and worked for the past 10 years no longer worked.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: iPrint crashed after updating

On 03/23/2017 06:12 PM, cmosentine wrote:
> I heard back from Novell this AM. They believe the "underscore" issue
> is the result of the updates actually enforcing an rfc that states no
> host name can contain an underscore.
>
>>>> cmosentine<cmosentine@vrapc.com> 3/23/2017 8:19 AM >>>

> Hi all: yesterday I installed a few updates including several for
> apache, java, and ncpenc. Following the update and the restart of
> affected daemons we completely lost the ability to print. Trying to
> pull up the print manager in iManager resulted in errors, printers as
> well. With the help of Novell support we determined that the name of
> host name cannot have underscore characters in it. We do not use the
> server name so as to be able to move iPrint to a different server
> without having to rebuild everything. We have always used underscores
> for our host name, e.g. gr_ipp_mgr. But after the updates underscores
> are causing iPrint to choke. We had to rename the host to "grippmgr" and
> add this host name to DNS. Novell does not know what actually is
> happening yet.
>
> Let me say that again, after the update, an iPrint host name that has
> underscores and worked for the past 10 years no longer worked.
>
>

Hi just to be more accurate. The update is on apache2 2.2.12-69.1
version to fix CVE-2016-8743.
This fix is the one not allowing underscores on the dns name as it should.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.