Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

iPrint manager database

I'm currently working on a project which requires a piece of code to retrieve the configuration(i.e. gateway autoload command) of a specified iprint printer via eDirectory programmatically. All those configuration data are stored as a chunk of binaries in iPrintManagerDBSaveData attribute of the print manager entry (i.e. cn=IP-PM) in the eDirectory. Later, I found out this chunk of binaries have the same format as the psmdb.bat file, and I think it is in the format of "NetWare Print Service Manager Database Version 1.0". I searched the novell website, and also did a lot of googling, but still could not find anything useful about "NetWare Print Service Manager Database Version 1.0"

Does anyone have any idea about NetWare Print Service Manager Database Version 1.0?

Thanks!!!!

Z
0 Likes
10 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

zcii,

It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your
posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply.

Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options:

- Visit http://support.novell.com and search the knowledgebase and/or check all
the other self support options and support programs available.
- You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is posted in the
correct newsgroup. (http://forums.novell.com)

Be sure to read the forum FAQ about what to expect in the way of responses:
http://forums.novell.com/faq.php

If this is a reply to a duplicate posting, please ignore and accept our apologies
and rest assured we will issue a stern reprimand to our posting bot.

Good luck!

Your Novell Product Support Forums Team
http://support.novell.com/forums/

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I would think your are better off looking at the padbtxt file (Printer Agent Text export of the psm db)

LINUX: /var/opt/novell/iprint/<PSM NAME>/padbtxt.xml (XML format)
NETWARE /NDPS/<*.PSM>/PADBTXT.CSV (Comma Sep)

This contains the gateway load string and is regularly updated, so will be current

Good luck
David
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The only problem with this approach is that the XML/CSV file is only created when the iPrint Manager is restarted

I know as well as the OP, the guys behind Papercut would like to know a programmatic way of being able to get to the printer configuration so they can know when new printers have been added to the Manager without needing the Manager to be bounced or a print job having to be sent to the printer..

Richard Brown // Systems Engineering Team Leader // City College Brighton and Hove
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

RBrownCCB;1956713 wrote:
The only problem with this approach is that the XML/CSV file is only created when the iPrint Manager is restarted

Not so, it also gets updated when the backups are performed, which is
"1AM that morning or since the last change made to the database"

I'm sure Neeraj, or maybe Kyle Bradford could provide a bit more detail, but my understanding, from the recent BrainShare session on iPrint, is that this file is pretty well maintained and up to date.

HTH
Regards
David
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi David, your link is very interesting, but is talking about the .dat files that iPrint uses as its database. I have no doubt your information is correct regarding the .dat files, but I am seeing very different behaviour with the .xml files in the same folder.
padbtxt.xml for example does indeed get updated at 1am each morning or when the manager is restarted, but does not appear to get updates when a change is made to the database.

Richard Brown // Systems Engineering Team Leader // City College Brighton and Hove
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Richard

This is where we need clarification from one of the developers (Neeraj) or support guys (Kyle) - the phrase they used in the presentation was something like 'significant change' in the db....! So, what actually kicks this off I don't really know.

If you force a backup from the psmstatus->adv...->internal screen it also updates this file.... I'm not sure of a way of automating such a process, but again Neeraj may help....

I have been in contact with him regarding another issue, so shall email him with the link to this forum post... hopefully....!

All the best

David
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Papercut uses the xml files to pull through its printers so you can configure them before printing to them. It would seem that adding a new printer agent might not count as a 'significant change', but no worries if you're right and that forcing the backup will also update the file

Next Time I have a printer to install, i'll check out the forced backup approach and if it updates the file accordingly I'll be one very happy camper - a forced backup is a million times less painful than a forced bounce of the manager

Cheers!

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I got this back from Kyle:
>>
The xml is exported at 1am or after a change to the database. By change, that means: PA create or delete. There might be other changes that will initiate the backup processes, but I'm not sure. The testing of that would be pretty straight forward (change IP address, change some setting (enable SSL, Audit, etc).
<<

...sounds like some testing in order!

HTH
Cheers
David
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thank you. The info in /var/opt/novell/iprint/<PSM>/padbtxt.csv was exactly what I was looking for to generate a report to standarize some printers.

djbrightman;1955547 wrote:
I would think your are better off looking at the padbtxt file (Printer Agent Text export of the psm db)

LINUX: /var/opt/novell/iprint/<PSM NAME>/padbtxt.xml (XML format)
NETWARE /NDPS/<*.PSM>/PADBTXT.CSV (Comma Sep)

This contains the gateway load string and is regularly updated, so will be current

Good luck
David
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Been testing, and Kyle's absolutely right, PA Creation immediately causes the xml files to be updated.. very nice.. now just to get my 3rd party apps to notice the change

Cheers!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.