Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

iPrint on Mac -- printer not available

Hi!
OES 11 SP1. MacBook Air (Apple Mac OS X). Just few days ago installed printer and printed out page and everything was ok, but today "printing", but nothing happen. Then I uninstalled printer and tried to install again, but ... "iPrinter encountered a problem trying to install the printer -- iPrint Printer - The printer is currently not available.". Printer is there and idle and printing from Windows device ... no problem. Maybe something with password ..., but it does not offer to enter anything and correct password was set initially.
Any ideas to try out?
More thanks, Alar.
0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: iPrint on Mac -- printer not available

On 02/05/2013 07:56, NovAlf wrote:

> OES 11 SP1. MacBook Air (Apple Mac OS X). Just few days ago installed
> printer and printed out page and everything was ok, but today
> "printing", but nothing happen. Then I uninstalled printer and tried to
> install again, but ... "iPrinter encountered a problem trying to install
> the printer -- iPrint Printer - The printer is currently not
> available.". Printer is there and idle and printing from Windows device
> ... no problem. Maybe something with password ..., but it does not offer
> to enter anything and correct password was set initially.
> Any ideas to try out?

Which version of OS X?
Which version of iPrint Client?
How up-to-date is OES11 SP1 server re patches? What version of
iPrint-related packages are installed? Please post output from "rpm -qa
| grep iprint"

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Technology Transfer
Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi and thanks!
Sorry.
Apple MacBookAir5,1 (device is out of my reach right now, this I "see" via ZCM). iPrint Client 5.8.6.
novell-iprint-management-6.5.1.20121218-0.2.19
novell-iprint-migration-6.5.1.20121210-0.3.1
novell-iprint-iprntman-6.5.1.20121221-0.3.5
yast2-novell-iprint-2.14.9-25.50
novell-iprint-server-6.5.1.20121218-0.2.52
novell-iprint-iprntman-wrapper-1.0.0-29.24
novell-iprint-client-6.5.1.20121226-0.2.1
Can't say which is SLES 11/OES 11 patch level, but server is installed and fully patched less than 2 months ago.
It had installed printer from old OES 2 (SLES 10) server, I did install printer from new OES 11 (SLES 11) server and printed one page ... fine, just few days ago, today ... printing and nothing printed.
More thanks, Alar.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

In error log I see ...
[Thu May 02 09:08:42 2013] [warn] [client 172.17.29.154] [1161] authnz_ldapdn authenticate: user <user_name> authentication failed; URI /ipps/HP_LaserJet_1320_5172 [ldap_simple_bind_s() to check user credentials failed][Other (e.g., implementation specific) error]
Alar.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi again!
Of course I was wrong about iPrint version for Mac -- 5.72. And seems to it is a similar issue described at Support | Secure enabled iPrint printers fail to install from OES11 servers to Mac 10.7 (Lion), but not exactly this one. Something with OES 11 etc. Also, I tried to install printer from "old" OES2 on SLES 10 and ... no problem. Only problem is this printer is now directed through SLES 11 OES 11 (and placed into separated network not accessible from "old" OES2).
Ahjaa, OS X 10.8.3.
Alar.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi!
Well, I managed to install printer once again -- did remove client soft and also deleted password kept in key-chain and restarted and ... well, not sure it was caused by what I did ... printer was added. Some week ago. Today I had a chance to get touched with this Mac and tried print and it was ok, but ... I am not able to install new printers - same "printer not available" error appear. Printer is available, user has rights and Mac driver is attached. So, still something wrong.
Btw. - added latest iPrint updates to server, too.
Alar.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi again on this subject!
Today same problem I see on another MacBook Air, meaning, user tries to install printer ... not available, but it is.
Not sure about user Mac iPrint Client version (installed some month ago), but latest patches added to server, just last Tuesday.
Any new hints?
More thanks, Alar.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi Alar,

We're experiencing the same issue on our network. Until recently, occurrences were rare though it's now irritating many users. Initially I thought it was an iPrint 5.74/5.76 problem and rolled back updates to the client on our Macs. However, I'm now finding we get the issue across multiple versions of iPrint for Mac on either Mac OS X 10.8 or 10.9.

Has there been any resolution or even identification of what might be causing this? I can't find any errors/logs that suggest where the problem is. I've tried many combinations of solutions yet the issue keeps coming back - I thought I'd check in here before I use up an SR on it!

Thanks,
John
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi!
Must say we have ... just a one Mac around here at my reach. Yes, it has this problem ... fortunately this person with this Mac was/is here at site and I just had a chance to try printing (to be sure) ... yes, printing does work and we haven't on this device recently this problem happen. iPrint Client 5.72 and Mac ... with osx-10.8-x86_64 on top of it. But ... this does not mean problem disappear and, no, we don't had a any resolution, just so far did help removing printer/client and reinstalling it, but, as I wrote, recently we haven't this problem on this device, I should know.
Sorry, not very helpful!
Alar.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.