Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

iPrint printer contact ... delayed

Hi!
Open Enterprise Server 11 SP1, Windows 7 x64. On one computer noticed interesting "thing" about iPrint 1. User printer. Installed. It does work ... one day or so and then ... it's start to act ... oddly. Meaning, printing dialogs do open very slowly and printing is also slow, meaning, print job sending to printer. Could be ... some server etc. issue, but ... interestingly for a while does solve the problem when to remove printer and before or after newly installing same printer to restart a spooler. Just restarting spooler does not help, need to remove also printer. Can't figure out what is going on. Printer HPLJ P2015. UPD 5.6 drivers attached. Probably not latest iPrint Client, true.
More thanks, Alar.
0 Likes
32 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: iPrint printer contact ... delayed

NovAlf;2329578 wrote:
Hi!
Open Enterprise Server 11 SP1, Windows 7 x64. On one computer noticed interesting "thing" about iPrint 1. User printer. Installed. It does work ... one day or so and then ... it's start to act ... oddly. Meaning, printing dialogs do open very slowly and printing is also slow, meaning, print job sending to printer. Could be ... some server etc. issue, but ... interestingly for a while does solve the problem when to remove printer and before or after newly installing same printer to restart a spooler. Just restarting spooler does not help, need to remove also printer. Can't figure out what is going on. Printer HPLJ P2015. UPD 5.6 drivers attached. Probably not latest iPrint Client, true.
More thanks, Alar.

Try the latest, there are some fixes that maybe could help:

Fixes introduced in the 5.92 iPrint Client
iPrint or Apache is slow or unable to accept new jobs (TID 7012473)
Added support for XPS drivers. (Bug 831092)
Resolved issue with shortcut settings being saved with printer driver profile (Bug 827766)
Resolved issue with invalid realm details found in iPrint Client Passwords tab (Bug 789947)
Fixed iprntcmd -v output (Bug 574955)
Resolved issue with iprntcmd -i showing wrong information for direct printer (Bug 793113)
Fixes introduced in the 5.94 iPrint Client
Introduces support for Windows 8.1, which also requires iPrint server updates. (See TID 7014111)
Mac or Linux print drivers fail to upload with "Check that the Driver Store (idsd) is loaded" (TID 7000038)
Security Vulnerability - Novell iPrint Client DoS vulnerability in id1.GetPrinterURLList(arg1,arg2) (TID 7014184)
Fixes introduced in the 5.96 iPrint Client
Print Spooler Crash with WinXP/Win7 and 5.94 iPrint Client. (See TID 7014728)
iPrint client 5.94 slow updating windows printer properties page (Bug 865327)
Fixes introduced in the 5.98 iPrint Client
Print Spooler Crash with WinXP/Win7 and 5.94 iPrint Client. (See TID 7014728)
This same fix is in the 5.96, however, the 5.98 improves on this fix.

https://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=CLWJNCtPI_U~

Also check C:\NDPS\ipperrs log... does the iprint server show high cpu?

Thomas
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi and thanks, Thomas!
Yes, will do renew iPrint Client, I'm sure it's not the latest. Don't have on this device remote-look, so ... kind of blind-situation for me.
More thanks, Alar.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Did install latest iPrint Client. But ... printer properties open fairly enough fast, but preferences (when to choose on printer icon context menu) ... it takes a while to open window. In file You pointed to I see ...
---
15.08.2014 - 12:26:11
Module: spoolsv.exe
Trace Info: ippmain.c, line 20059, thread 000023C0
Routine: IppInterpretUri - Bad URI (not HTTP, HTTPS, or IPP) - ?
Error: HTTP - Bad URL supplied (not HTTP:, HTTPS:, or IPP:).
Trace Info: ippmain.c, line 15735, thread 000023C0
Routine: GetPrinterInfoWithGoodStatus - Not our printer (?)
Error: The printer name is invalid.
---
Alar.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

NovAlf;2329609 wrote:
Did install latest iPrint Client. But ... printer properties open fairly enough fast, but preferences (when to choose on printer icon context menu) ... it takes a while to open window. In file You pointed to I see ...
---
Trace Info: ippmain.c, line 20059, thread 000023C0
Routine: IppInterpretUri - Bad URI (not HTTP, HTTPS, or IPP) - ?
Error: HTTP - Bad URL supplied (not HTTP:, HTTPS:, or IPP:).
Trace Info: ippmain.c, line 15735, thread 000023C0
Routine: GetPrinterInfoWithGoodStatus - Not our printer (?)
Error: The printer name is invalid.
---
Alar.

Okay... Have you seen this: https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php/478203-iPrint-Client-5-96-very-slow ?

Thomas
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi again and thanks!
Yes, that's the one. I mean, as soon I changed UPD driver to MS ... everything did open even faster than expected. Mh. I should have now it. So, it's the HP UPD driver problem all over. Ok, need to wait for day or two to see this delay-problem appear, probably not.
More thanks, Alar.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi!
Yes, seems to latest UPD's really do not work either – I mean this slowness appear. Also interesting, profile I had set via iManager does not apply, certainly for UPD's.
Alar.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi again!
Well, in our case only changing to DEFAULT in iprint.ini did solve a problem. But, still can't see shortcuts using UPD. Even attached a profile set via iManager (where sc's is showing up just fine). Something connected to UPD?
More thanks, Alar.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

NovAlf;2333720 wrote:
Hi again!
Well, in our case only changing to DEFAULT in iprint.ini did solve a problem. But, still can't see shortcuts using UPD. Even attached a profile set via iManager (where sc's is showing up just fine). Something connected to UPD?
More thanks, Alar.

Hi!
What do you mean by "still can't see shortcuts using UPD"?

Thomas
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Hi and thanks!
Something is written here on same topic ... https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php/418657-HP-drivers-printing-shortcuts
When You open Printing preferences (using HP UPD driver, 5.9.0) then appear Printing Shortcuts tab ... empty in our case. Even I see there (if I recall correctly) two shortcuts during creating profile.
More thanks, Alar.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

NovAlf;2333727 wrote:
Hi and thanks!
Something is written here on same topic ... https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php/418657-HP-drivers-printing-shortcuts
When You open Printing preferences (using HP UPD driver, 5.9.0) then appear Printing Shortcuts tab ... empty in our case. Even I see there (if I recall correctly) two shortcuts during creating profile.
More thanks, Alar.

Ah I understand know what you mean...

When you created the profile, did you check "Requires printer communications" and selected the printer you wanted to create the profile for?
Do you have snmp enabled on the printer?
Is snmp traffic from the iPrint server and the workstations allowed to the printer?

Thomas
0 Likes
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

Well, never checked this as You wrote, but ... tried, same result. Yes, SNMP is enabled on the printer and, yes, SNMP traffic is enabled from iPrint server and the workstation to the printer, at least can't see/say otherwise. We get warning from printer for supplies etc. info.
Alar.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.