Highlighted
ChasR Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

iPrint upgrade from 3,2 to 4 worked but problems

I have successuly upgraded iprint 3.2 to 4 with 'no' errors, applied the 3 service patches and installed the license. However, when I try to access the printers in the configuration menu, I get an rpc error. I have tried this operation twice now, and get the same error each time.

the start of the error messages are as follows:

com.novell.admin.common.server.rpc.beans.RpcException: com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.UnexpectedException: Service method 'public abstract java.util.List com.novell.admin.iprint.client.services.IprintRpcService.getWalkupPrinterList() throws com.novell.admin.common.server.rpc.beans.RpcException' threw an unexpected exception: com.novell.admin.common.datamodel.beans.DataModelException: Failed : HTTP error code : 500
	at com.novell.admin.common.server.rpc.utils.RpcUtils.doUnexpectedFailure(RpcUtils.java:28)
	at com.novell.admin.iprint.server.rpc.controllers.IprintRpcServiceImpl.doUnexpectedFailure(IprintRpcServiceImpl.java:124)
	at com.google.gwt.user.server.rpc.AbstractRemoteServiceServlet.doPost(AbstractRemoteServiceServlet.java:67)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:707)
	at com.novell.admin.iprint.server.rpc.controllers.IprintRpcServiceImpl.service(IprintRpcServiceImpl.java:119)

This is only the start of the errors.
Anyone got any ideas what I am missing as the upgrade works with no problems until this happens.

Regards
ChasR.
0 Likes
18 Replies
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor

Re: iPrint upgrade from 3,2 to 4 worked but problems

What error do you see in /var/opt/novell/log/iprintmobile/iprint_mobiler0.log?

What error do you see in /var/log/apache2/error_log

0 Likes

typo 🙂

iprint_mobiler0.log

should be

iprint_mobile0.log
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Hi,

I will post the log later on today/tomorrow: However, Micro Focus had issued a document:

Iprint Appliance 4.x Reading list of printer returns RPC error.

This was document 7024315 but Micro Focus have removed it. Does anyone know what was in it? There was obviously a problem detecteed, but I have not found any further information.

Regards

ChasR.

0 Likes

it is still there and there at least 4 TID talking about different RPC errors. The RPC is a generic error. The important part is the http code at the end of the error and the error in the iprint_mobile0.log file. Once you know the exact error, then you can follow the correct TID to fix it

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

HI,

I get the warning message: Value of simultaneously open files is too small, recommended value is 262144

Then I get XmIWebApplicationContext:544 - exception encountered during context initialization - cancelling refresh attempt, after which I get error creating bean.

Does this give any bearing on the p[roblem?

Regards

ChasR

0 Likes

no, this is informational, not an error. Duplicate the problem and attach the iprint_mobile0.conf to the message

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Hi,

I have attached a copy of the iprint_mobile0.log file here. Hope this helps in resolving the problem. It is renamed as a txt file for transfer.

Cheers

ChasR

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

If forgot to add the first log file was a from a new server boot. The one here is after the printers failed to display in the web browser configuration setting when the error message popped up.

Thanks

ChasR

0 Likes

Run this commands on appliance console:

sh /opt/novell/iprintmobile/bin/db_util.sh --config
sh /opt/novell/iprintmobile/bin/db_util.sh -repair

Restart appliance and check. If still error, send again the iprint_mobile0.log

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Hi,

I had already tried it (Document ID: 7024075). However, I have done as you requested and attached the iprint_mobile0 file. Still the same problem when accessing the printer file list.

Happy New Year,

ChasR

0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Did some testing over Xmas and these results may prompt someone to have an idea what the solution to the problem could be.

Initial problem is that after the migration when you try to access the printers list with the management console too you get an RPC error.

Initially, I did the migration but did not install the 3 updates. I got the above error.

Installed the updates, got the same error.

Tried solution in TID 7024075 on both of the above scenarios, still the same problem.

I then though !!!!###, I will just do upgrade again, but install the 3 service updates first, do a reboot, and then continue with the migration.

The migration stopped at 46% as happened to the person who posted "iPrint Appliance 3.2 Migration to 4 error". I left this working overnight, still stuck here.

Further ###!!!###, so I then gave up with the migration, and decided to do a basic install and then add the printers one at a time.

First attempt, did not initially add the updates, this resulted in the original error RPC communication error.

Tried add the 3 updates, still the same problem, then tried TID 7024075 on both the above scenarios, still the RPC error.

Thought I then had a solution in that I would put the 3 updates on first and then carry out the install.

The system hung at 65%, and no improvement after I left it overnight.

Then gave up!!!!!

Anyone got any ideas to help please?

Regards

ChasR.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.